2 cycle oil question

BillP

Captain
Check some of the ultra light plane sites for good info on air cooled 2 stroke oils vs watercooled...its mostly about ash content. Many empiracle tests of engines being taken apart and checked over and over. I used to fly them and these engines are pushed to the max most of the flight. Many flyers experience engine seizures at altitude which gets the attention of what oil does that boaters never see. Some fly aircooled with TCW oil too. On occasion I use TCW in my chain saws/weed wackers when I'm out of air cooled oil. Been doing this for years without engine problems so it isn't certain or immediate death no matter which you run.

bp

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Which TCW rated number would that be, 3 ? Is there a generic 2 strokes plain TCW oil labeled as that ?

Happy Boating

BillP

Captain
Which TCW rated number would that be, 3 ? Is there a generic 2 strokes plain TCW oil labeled as that ?

Happy Boating

There is one rating...TCW-3 is the current spec. No others are current. TCW 2 goes back a few yrs.

No Title

So I also have a question regarding 2 stroke oil, can I run an AMSoil marine in my mix? I have an old 60's 5horse Sea King twin. What would be the best mix ratio or just follow what the jug says? Want to run synthetic in the old motor, this is the bottle

Attachments

• photo226537.jpg
    photo226537.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

BillP

Captain
So I also have a question regarding 2 stroke oil, can I run an AMSoil marine in my mix? I have an old 60's 5horse Sea King twin. What would be the best mix ratio or just follow what the jug says? Want to run synthetic in the old motor, this is the bottle

Probably 24:1 but mfgs started changing ratios in the 60s so it depends on the year of your motor to know for sure. Could also be 16:1, 40:1 or 50:1. Unless you are racing hard you can run any ratio and get away with it but staying with the mfgs published ratio is best. Amsoil is not a TCW-3 certified oil if that matters to you. They advertise as "recommened" or "use where", etc but technically do not meet ob mfgs written oil specifications. Other quality synthetic oils are out there that are truly TCW-3 certified if you want certified oil. You can check the NMMA web site to see who is certified...I think Amsoil did it for one year a decade or so back.

bp

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Say fellas, presta24's question was answered quite a few posts ago. I think it's time to move on. shortshaftboater, please start your own "oil" Topic. Please don't hijack this one.... Thanks. And, welcome to the forum.....

WIMUSKY

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
An example of air cooled 2 strokes that were specified to take TCW III oil were Lawn Boy 2 stroke mowers and Toro 2 stroke snowblowers; they can be run on either according to the manufacturer but there will be less deposits on the ash less TCWIII.
I have 3 Echo 2 strokes and a Toro snowblower with a Suzuki 2 stroke and use the specified oil in each...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Say fellas, presta24's question was answered quite a few posts ago. I think it's time to move on.

WIMUSKY

Lou C, the Ops ? as been answered a while ago....... Your post is good to know on air cooled motors, but the Op had asked about an outboard.... Unless the Op has anything more to say about the subject, this Topic is considered dead..........

Thanks,
Musky

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Say fellas, presta24's question was answered quite a few posts ago
Although I never want to be the last one to post on anything, the OP's question might not have been fully answered........

Everyones questions might be better answered by referring to the group that actually developed the TC-W3 rating and certify oils for the industry. The NMMA.

Since part of the rating is also dependent on the combustion products that are dumped into the water (that you might be taking and/or eating fish from), It's probably pretty important to use the most current TC-W3 oil in a 2-stroke OB.

To read about it, go to http://www.nmma.org/certification/certification/oil/tc-w3.aspx

It's all there.

Cheers,

Rick