2000 90 hp Johnson 2 stroke

Jrc1257

Recruit
Hi fellow boating enthusiast, I need sum help on what I believe is a minor issue but I don't know where to start. I just purchased a "new to me" pontoon. 1999 crest 22' with a 2000 90 hp Johnson 2stroke. It ran like at top last weekend with no issues. The battery was old so I bought a new one and put in it last night, same specs as the old one. I put it in and now the motor will not turn over. I know the battery is good, I put a meter on it. I own a construction company, not a mechanic shop. So I don't know where to begin. All of this is new to me. Thanks in advance for you help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Does the starter not crank the motor, or will it not start and run? "Won't turn over" means both of those things to different people.

Jrc1257

Recruit
I havnt done anything different from last weekend when I took it to the lake. All I did was change the older battery out to a new battery. The throttle is in neutral position. There is no kill/safety switch at the ignition. All the gauges and lights work. But when I turn the key to start the motor nothing happens.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
There is a neutral safety switch inside the control box. before going crazy jiggle the handle from forward to reverse and back to neutral. If that doesn't work, move the control handle a little around neutral. Finally, if all else fails put the key on in the run position and "jump" the start solenoid. It may be bad. You may also have a bad ignition switch. If you can easily get to it test with a multi-meter.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I'm guessing you blew the fuse inside the motor cover. You were careful to not reverse the battery terminals when you installed the battery? Red = POS on the battery, black = NEG on the battery. I am amazed at the number of folks that do this.