Do Impellers Have a Use-By Date?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Just curious - I get my impellers on-line. Usually order 2 at a time to make more efficient use of shipping costs. So, I'll install one and keep the other as a spare. Then, next time I'm due for a routine impeller replacement I'll put in the spare (that has been sitting, in original package, for up to a year) and order a couple more.

I'm wondering, is the spare impeller just rotting away in its package while waiting to be installed? Seems like when one comes in the mail I don't know how long it has been sitting on the dealers shelf. I've never seen any kind of date on the package.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Lasts for years to come provided they are well shaded in a box, out of heat sources while packed or not. Will also depend on impeller brand as not all are made with same materials. Have some 7 year oldies sitting as stated, with nothing to envy to newer or fresh ones.

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have installed some that was at least 40 yrs old and never had a problem....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't see any real issue with them sitting myself. It is when they sit installed for years that problems start. With the arms, spines or whatever you want to call them bent in a position for a long time, they will tend to take a set. Then you have problems. Otherwise you would never have to change one until it literally wore the ends down too far to allow it work... JMHO!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
No, unless you store them wrong, there is no expiration date on them. Sitting them on a shelf that has full exposure to the sun everyday is probably not the best idea as they will dry out and get brittle, but leave them in the factory package and store them in a dry dark place out of the light and they will be fine. Some of the NOS stuff you buy has been sitting for decades and it is just fine.