This motor or that..What should I do?

shelliebwebbing

Recruit
I have the choice of fixing my Suzuki 115 outboard motor (year 1999) or for the same money I can buy a Mercury 90 (2003) what should I do? Also
what is the significant difference and will I be giving up too much "power"? Thanks in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

What are you re-powering? A 40 foot house boat or a kayak? The 90 is too much for a yak and probably not enough for a houseboat, but maybe just right for your boat.

What's wrong with the 115? We might be able to help you fix it for way less than the price of the Merc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
An engine is rated for a given boat lenght and number of max passengers or load to carry. If you'll be transporting on a permanent basis less number of passengers or weight than factory rated for, no need to have boat with max engine sitting on transom.

Happy Boating

pckeen

Commander
Obviously, going from a 115 to a 90 hp normally results in a loss of power.....assuming that your Suzuki was running properly in the first place. Having said that, we repowered a 68' Starcraft Holiday with a one year old Yamaha F90, replacing a mid 70s 115hp Johnson, and the power was about the same (Johnson I'm guessing wasn't running quite properly). What is the cost of repair and the cost of the motor you are looking at?