Buying first boat need help with "hours"

gixxerdk

Cadet
I'm looking at a used boat, 2007 hydrasport with a yamaha 250. Owner AND ad states under 300 hours. But picture of gauge shows 2847. Owner states 284.7 but the decimal is no where to be seen. I asked if it blinked and he said no. Yes, I could just get a yamaha tech to hook it up but hes 8 hours from me. Before I even attempt to make my way over there I just want to be sure for the peace of mind.

Here is another picture
http://imgur.com/Xtvla9s

Attachments

• photo221880.jpg
    photo221880.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 10

alldodge

Staff member
I'm looking at a used boat, 2007 hydrasport with a yamaha 250. Owner AND ad states under 300 hours. But picture of gauge shows 2847. Owner states 284.7 but the decimal is no where to be seen. I asked if it blinked and he said no. Yes, I could just get a yamaha tech to hook it up but hes 8 hours from me. Before I even attempt to make my way over there I just want to be sure for the peace of mind.

Here is another picture
http://imgur.com/Xtvla9s

Cannot say with certainty but I cannot remember finding an hour meter without a tenths digit. Also 2900 hours would be a bunch and don't think the engine would be running very well unless it was overhauled. If all else fails find the local Yam dealer and ask them, or send the pic to Yam via email

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Why not ask over at the Yammy forum? Look at the general condition of the engine. A well maintained engine will certainly look better than a low hours poorly maintained one.

Last edited:

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go for a test drive for 30 mins see if that meter clicks up to 2852 :) i cant imagine near 3k hours in 7 years thatd mean he was running that boat 8 hrs a week, i mean if anything im jealous, and dont buy that boat without a motor rebuild or replacement figured in.
By the way at 3000 hrs id think the vinyl would be toast.

Last edited:

gixxerdk

Cadet
Why not ask over at the Yammy forum? Look at the general condition of the engine. A well maintained engine will certainly look better than a low hours poorly maintained one.
No response over there..

I'm just really surprised no one really has a answer to this lol. Ive asked over on THT as well. Does no one have a yamaha 250?!

pckeen

Commander
I have a tach that looks like that - it has a decimal point in it, so my guess is your hour meter is missing a decimal point. Buy it subject to a tech's confirmation as to the number of hours....