Change engine oil and gear oil at beginning or end of season?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's recommended? If you change at end of season, new oils sit in outboard over winter (I store mine in a basement, not outside) and it seems to me may possibly degrade. If you change at beginning of season, old stuff sits and I suppose may cause some sort of corrosion or other problem.

alldodge

Staff member
What's recommended? If you change at end of season, new oils sit in outboard over winter (I store mine in a basement, not outside) and it seems to me may possibly degrade. If you change at beginning of season, old stuff sits and I suppose may cause some sort of corrosion or other problem.

End of season, get all the contaminates out of the units. Oil doesn't degrade, it just gets dirty

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check oil for water contamination during the season .---Drain and refill at the end of the season if many hrs are put on.----There are few oils with a " best before date " on the container as far as I know.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Personally I don't see much if any preference or better idea myself. If you change it at the beginning of the season, you get to use fresh clean setup instantly. If you change it after the season, it just sits there and you get to use fresh clean oil when you start the season anyways... It is certainly not like gas. So how would it really matter one way or the other? I just don't see any difference other then some people's preference! If this is all you have to worry about, you are blessed. JMHO!

pckeen

Commander
Change at the end. Contaminants build up over the season, and if there is water intrusion in the lower end, you won't know unless you drain and replace it - lots of rust can develop over a season in storage. New oil won't degrade during storage.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am convinced - change at end of season then store upright in basement. Thanks all. Though this past season, I did leave it until just a few weeks ago.

UncleWillie

Captain
The Oil will get contaminated over the season.
If you then let is sit for 6 months, the contaminants get to settle into a nice sludge in the bottom of the motor.
Even if you run it for a reasonable period to warm up the oil, it is possible that some of the dirt is still in the pan.
Changing it in the fall drains out the contaminates while they are still in suspension.
Plus it is one less thing to do in the spring when you are gung ho on getting on the water in a hurry.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you happen to have water in your gear oil, you are letting it sit from fall to spring.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In colder climates you see want ads for lower units every spring.-Goes like this --" wanted , used gearcase as mine froze and cracked over the winter "