Johnson info needed

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Just bought a 1966 Johnson 33hp super seahorse outboard. I rebuilt the carb and put new spark plugs in and started it up for the first time in at least 5 years. Ran beautifully.
Just need a few questions and info that I could not find thru the manuals or a quick internet search.
I need to get a new throttle cable, the sleeve rotted on the old one and the cable no longer pulls. It has evinrude simplex controls. What throttle cable do I get?
I've been running the motor on 50:1 gas oil mix. Is this correct for this motor?
The lower unit needs to be painted, what color black is for Johnson? (I know it's supposed to be white but the whole midsection is black.)

Bought the motor for under $200 and need to put about $200 into replacing old parts just for reliability.

Model #: RXEL-14D

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
If it has a Simplex 2 lever control the cable is a type 400 and are still readily available. You will most likely need to save the cable connection ends but they aren't hard to replace. If it's a single lever it could use either type 400 or type 479 cables depending on the age of the box.
Johnson never used a black paint that I know of. 50:1 is correct oil mix.