upgrading a suzuki dt175 to a 200 on a 175 rated boat.

jcalexander

Cadet
I have a 1999 Sprint 286 pro tournament bass boat with a 1987 suzuki DT175 outboard. The boat is rated for a 175 but i would like to know if upgrading the carbs to 200 hp carbs will hurt anything or will it damage my boat? Just needing to know if it can be safely done.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You won't get any validation on this forum. It is generally acknowledged that the members should not condone overpowering a hull.

On the other hand, Changing carbs will not necessarily gain you the horsepower you want. There are usually other factors involved. Unless you have the carbs on hand not being used, you would be better off leaving the 175 alone. But no, even if you do change carbs no damage will be done to the boat. Can't positively say that about the engine though. best you ask at the Suzy forum.

jcalexander

Cadet
Well i do know that the the 150, 175, and 200 engine are all the same. Same block, same heads, same lower unit the carbs are just different. The 150 has small carbs with 4 reeds, the 175 has big carbs with 4 reeds and the 200 has big carbs with 6 reeds. The boat just doesn't run like we would like it to and it seems a bit underpowered.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well it is rated at 175 from the factory for a reason, if it is not running the way you think it should, then post down in the Suzuki section and we can all take a look at your problems and see if there is some suggestions to be had on how to improve the performance, what is it not doing?