Powerhead Rebuild Kits

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1994 Force 70hp. I have an active thread on it on the Force/Chrysler subforum. I got the official word from the machine shop that I will need 0.020" oversized pistons/rings.

So what are the best sites for getting the powerhead rebuild kits? I want a quality product but I was hoping to find some for considerably less than $750 which is about all I am seeing. Powerheadkit.com has some crazy cheap prices but I'm not sure if their site is up to date and if they are reputable or not. If I can't find a kit in the $500 range I will probably order Wiseco pistons, rings, wrist pins, circlips, and needle bearings myself at about $350 total shipped, a complete powerhead gasket kit separately for $100, and new crankshaft seals for around $50 (crankshaft bearings are fine). Any suggestions?

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks. I got a hold of powerheadkit.com earlier and their current price on the kit for my motor is $475 + $25 shipping. It also comes with WSM pistons but it doesn't have the connecting rod bearing cages nor nor the two inner crankshaft bearings like the Ebay one does. Interesting dilema. Here is a picture of that kit I am considering that's $500 total. 3 cyl force-800.jpg

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Thems Wiseco pistons in picture.....not WSM
I know. I think the picture is outdated along with their prices. I asked and they can do Wiseco pistons for more $ but they recommended WSM for rebuilding regular outboards. I probably couldn't tell a difference anyways.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I only use WSM kits(dealer) and yes the Wisecos would require more cylinder clearance...

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class
that's the kit I got when I did my 90hp Johnson,they were a hour dr. from the house so I went and picked it up,I got 1 gasket that was wrong,gave them a call and they sent it right out,no hassle and told the wrong part,just throw it away,so didn't have to brother to send it back,this was almost 7-8 months ago and motor is running well,everything fit together no problems..

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
Ordered the kit this morning. Total including shipping to North Alabama was $445 which beat every other kit I found by a couple hundred. I have also been pleased with their customer service so far. They are good about returning calls and I got an email of my receipt withing an hour of ordering over the phone.

scout-j-m

Chief Petty Officer
I got the kit in yesterday. I was mistaken about the WSM and it came with Vertex pistons. My initial internet search on them made me uneasy as I had a hard time finding them used in outboard applications. Then I did a search on here and found they are in fact a popular outboard piston choice...even saw where you Faztbullet endorsed them lol. Everything in the kit was there but I did recieve the wrong main upper crank bearing. They are going to express ship it to me though which is nice.