Should I replace my 61 40HP Evinrude with 73 50HP Merc

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have always had '60's jonnyrudes. Been offered a 50HP Merc for a good price. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the mercury in question? I know the Jonnyrudes are damn near bullet proof and pretty cheap to tuneup.

I have a 16' aluminum runabout and get up to 38KM/H by myself on glass water with the 40HP.

Just trying to avoid a lemon year or sniff out any red flags with the merc size / year.

Thanks as always,
Steve

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
They are both old engines. Other than a slight increase in speed, I don't see any advantage to buying the Merc if your OMC is still running well.

A bargain is not a bargain unless you need it.

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Frank,

The OMC has some issues that are starting to **** me off.

So other then being about the same age and style, nothing terrible to know about the Merc?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I have a 16' aluminum runabout and get up to 38KM/H by myself on glass water with the 40HP.

You have a poor performer combo with probably good hole shot, right ? My 450 Rib with just a 2 stroke 18 HP horse achieves 40 Km/h. What you need to do instead going for a slight larger engine, go for a prop maximization to achieve better overall water performance. Will need to get wot min-max rpm factory stated for that engine, install an induction tach, go for a wot spin as previous run and check max achieved rpm. Dial a prop that gives at least middle rpm reading or close to max one.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

newhamburgboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Sea Rider,

You got me there. I used to have this motor with this prop on a 13' Boston Whaler, the thing screamed (55KM/H). chalked up the loss in speed to an extra three feet in boat and V vs Tri Hull.

The speed isn't my biggest issue, I bought a tach over the winter, just got to find it and use it to see WOT RPM's, I know I am close. The motor hates to run low RPM's. Im sure some tuning would help out a lot. The cables are bent and seized a bit from the pervious owner to the point i snapped off the shift lever yesterday on my first run of the year.

So I'm looking at the whole picture here. New controls would be about $100 after shipping and tax. that only gives me back what i had.

The Merc is being offered running from a friend for $150 with controls and two tanks.

The current rate in my area for the 40HP Evinrude would sell for $300-400 without the controls or tank.

PS, i also have two props for the Evinrude, one rebuilt last year (was spun). Both props (one for load one for speed) at different pitch's on the transom max out at 40KM/H

Im running the one for load and I get about the same speed with me or three men in the boat. it doesn't vary much and never had a planing issue)

thanks again all!

Steve

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If can buy the Merc offered for just $ 150.00 and sell current Evi for $300.00 then you have a big deal in your favor provided that Merc is in top working order. If so, can even go for a Merc prop maximization to get all those stated ponies out of that horse and have great boating time.

Happy Boating