Evinrude/Johnson engine tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
General question for all motors. I met an outboard motor mechanic the other day from out of state, and he told me about a product called Engine Tuner that is made by Evinrude/Johnson. It is a decarbonizer made for both 2 cycle and 4 cycle motors. It comes in a 13 oz. spray can, (oil based product) and you run your motor to normal operating temperature than spray the entire can of this product into the gas intake (carb) until the can is all gone 100%, and this is done with the motor running without stalling it out.

After you spray it all into the engine, you shut it off and let it sit for three (3) to sixteen (16) hours. You than start the motor and run it to at least 1,500 RPM's for at least 15 minutes to remove the product and the carbon. Suppose to be great for the engine according to this mechanic and according to all of the reviews on line from customers that used the product. This guy says he uses it on ALL of the motors that he repairs as a standard. Has anyone on here actually used this product and if so, what were your results with the product?? Is it a good idea to get all of the carbon out of the motor? Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are competing products that are very much the same from different manufacturers. Power-Tune is from Mercury, Seafoam Deep Creep, and some others. Do that work? Some swear by them, some use a cleaner in the gasoline all the time, instead of the spray type decarbonizers, some use nothing.

It is probably a good idea to remove any significant carbon buildup from a motor. How long does it take to build up? No one really know, as it depends on many factors. I useone of these products once every other year, or so, if I think the motor is running a bit rough. I mix the Seafoam liquid into the gas and run it thru the motor, letting it sit several hours between applications. Does it work? Maybe maybe-not..., but it doesn't cost much to do it.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
There are competing products that are very much the same from different manufacturers. Power-Tune is from Mercury, Seafoam Deep Creep, and some others. Do that work? Some swear by them, some use a cleaner in the gasoline all the time, instead of the spray type decarbonizers, some use nothing.

It is probably a good idea to remove any significant carbon buildup from a motor. How long does it take to build up? No one really know, as it depends on many factors. I useone of these products once every other year, or so, if I think the motor is running a bit rough. I mix the Seafoam liquid into the gas and run it thru the motor, letting it sit several hours between applications. Does it work? Maybe maybe-not..., but it doesn't cost much to do it.

Thanks for your reply. I am familiar with Seafoam and I do add some to my gas every time I fill up. I use (1) oz. per gallon each tankful, so it basically does the same thing that this other product would do, except not all at once like the engine tuner is what I am thinking, correct? Like one of my fishing buddies told me "Your motor is running sweet. Don't fix it if it aint broke". I'm gonna listen to him.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I've used the Evinrude/Johnson Engine Tuner for years and had nothing but good luck with it when you follow directions. IMHO I think it is the best.

GaryO

Seaman Apprentice
I gave it a try a couple of years ago and it worked great. Cleaned a bunch of gunk out when I started it up after sitting overnight. Just don't do it in your driveway, you could end up with a pretty good mess of crud on the ground!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If owning a healthy new or used engine you have 2 decarbon choices :

-Either use Sea Foam or equivalent product mixed with regular fuel or
-Apply decarbon product though carb throat at intervals of 100 worked hours.
-OMC decarbonizer is more foamy, CRC is more liquid. Both works fantastic well.
-Turn engine on, let warm at idle at least 5 minutes.
-Move throttle grip to fast idle, squirt small shots of product, engine will start to smoke heavily and miss, if too much product is sprayed engine will shut off.
-Repeat at least 6 time intervals, allow engine to recover its rpm before spraying next burst and so on.
-Throttle further passing fast idle and hold grip steady, squirt a long overdose till engine dies.
-Let sit for one hour, turn engine back on and go for 1-2 minute wot run as if you were stealing the combo.
-Engine should run smooth an even once back at idle.

No need to sit product inside combustion chamber for hours, as you already have done 6 small burst which will pre remove gunk and carbon. The long product burst and wot run is key. Being a regular decarbonizer fan was tired of removing carb silencer each time wanted to apply the product, so took a shortcut. Removed air silencer and drilled a 3 mm diam hole in middle silencer, re installed silencer back. For next decarbon procedure just insert cannula in middle silencer and apply product. A can is good for many decarbon applications, no need to spray a full can on small to medium size portable engines, it's useless, engine won't take any advantage doing so.

P1220827.JPG

If you don't wan't CMC red cannula to be spit in or sucked by carb while doing the procedure, glue permanently cannula onto valve tip. Best decarbon is done when engine sits on an engine stand while being flushed with muffs at forward gear to rev at load. Just watch for the spinning prop, stay safe at carb's side.

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I started boating back in the 1960's and bought my first brand new Evinrude, I used their Tuner every year. Also, with carbs being the norm in cars back then, I used to rebuild the carb on my car every few years.

With the advent of E10, and all its cleaning powers, plus the fact that I have gotten very lazy in my old age, I have slipped into a "low maintenance mode".

I haven't rebuilt a carb in 20 years - that was on my 1980 Bonneville, which I still own. It hasn't needed rebuilding - runs perfect. Haven't used a Tuner on an outboard in that long as well, and I still regularly run engines from the early 1980's.

Does the gas run cleaner these days, or was a Tuner really never that necessary anyway? I dunno. But for now I'm going o stick with the "If it ain't broke" theory and "fix' it when it does break.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Using decarbon products don't enter in that equation, this is rather a preventive maintenance product inside a can. Used frequently , restores horse's agility and engine runs so smoooooth afterwords. Cleans, removes carbon builup on reed valves, piston, piston rings, combustion chambers, plugs and exhaust systems. For what it costs does wonders.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Using decarbon products don't enter in that equation, this is rather a preventive maintenance product inside a can. Used frequently , restores horse's life and engine runs so smoooooth afterwords. Cleans, removes carbon builup on reed valves, piston, piston rings, combustion chambers, plugs and exhaust systems. For what it costs does wonders.

Happy Boating

I agree wholeheartedly, and that's why I religiously did it in the past. My engines always gave me good performance. All I'm saying is that since I stopped doing it I can detect no deterioration in performance.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This product is ideal for 2 strokes engines that revs slow at marinas, fishing while trolling at idle/fast idle speeds. Restores lost agility and engine runs much smoother from idle throughout the whole throttle range.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

tav1

Cadet
just found this tread.......can i use engine tuner for over the winter season......spray it and left it ....someone says no

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've used engine tuner, my brothers 85 hp johnson wouldn't run well. After I rebuilt the carbs, synk and link, timing it was pretty good. Still not as well as I thought it should be even though he said it was fine. I sprayed the stuff in, let her sit for a couple beers and went for a good run with it. The darn thing perked right up! Still use the stuff to this day. Most any brand will do the same thing, name brands have you paying for the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.