Is 2001 Johnson 3 hp a direct drive motor with short shaft?

distrbd

Seaman Apprentice
I can not find any reviews/reference on this motor, whether it is a short shaft direct drive with neutral and forward . I found it on local classified for $500 but have not had much luck contacting the seller to get some info.what's your opinion on this motor.
your help is appreciated.
Ken.

distrbd

Seaman Apprentice
It's alright ,I got my answer ,it is a short shaft but direct drive( which I will stay away from), after you all commented on my other post about direct drive motors, I think I'll have a hard time getting used to it,it also has to be simple enough for my son to use without any inhibitions of any kind.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Interesting, The NADA price guide indicates a 2, 3.3, and 3.5 in 2001. 3.3 is J3RVLSI 3.5 J3RTVSI

distrbd

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks steelespike, the seller tells me it is a very simple /fuel efficient motor , it has only 32 hours on it, weighs 27 lbs, he wants $500 for it but will negotiate .
It seems to be what I need except it's a direct drive motor .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I had my own boat when I was 6 (1949)All the motors were pretty much direct drive. Even the neighbors 50 Evinrude Racing motor.
My 1.5 was easy it hardly moved on start. Heck it hardly moved on fast.I operated a 3 as swell.
If the motor runs good should start in a couple of pulls even below start.just aim it and pull the rope.