Should I use De-Carbon additives in a 2 cycle OB

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems since Yamaha started recommending Ring Free to be added at every fill-up, adding de-carbon additives to OB fuel has become more popular.. I personally have never used any additives in my 2 cycle OB or Waverunners. I only use R-90 (100% gas, non-ethanol) in my OB , and run E-10 (gas station fuel) in the Waverunners. I do use stable prior to winter layup, but that's for only stabilizing the fuel.

Question: Am I the only one thinking de-carb not needed, are any you running 2 cycle engines using additives. Adding $15-$25 of oil at fill-up is bad enough, then adding another $10.00 of additive just hits me wrong. My tank is 70 gal, usually fill up when it approaches 1/4 tank, takes about 50 gals.

robert graham

Admiral
Well, lots of opinions on this subject, but I use Ringfree and Stabil in every tank of gas....that and a fuel/water separator and never a problem in 15 years with my 1999 C90 Yamaha 2 stroke.....Carbon in 2 strokes is hard to prove or disprove but to me preventive maintenance is always the best way to go....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I use Evinrude XD-50 2-stroke oil. No need for third party additives since XD-50 has a carbon guard in the formulation.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would think a decarbon treatment (Seafoam or equiv.) once a year would do it. If you even need it.

Seems like a waste to burn up that expensive decarbon additive with every fill up.

robert graham

Admiral
Gee, I would think a decarbon treatment (Seafoam or equiv.) once a year would do it. If you even need it.

Seems like a waste to burn up that expensive decarbon additive with every fill up.
It goes back to Prevention of carbon or Removal of carbon.....The Ringfree is made by Oronite Additives Division of Chevron, same folks that make Techron and many other amine-based carbon prevention/removal products....Oronite Additives has been around a long time and pretty well wrote the book on additives. The last quart of Ringfree I bought was $57.....seems expensive, but at an ounce per 10 gallons of gas it's still a lot cheaper than stuck piston rings. I tend to keep my cars, boats and vehicles for decades, so preventive maintenance always seems the way to go for me.....whatever you're comfortable with for your situation....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can spray OMC Power Tuner, CRC Engine Tue Up and other decarbon brands through carb's throat at each 100 worked hours intervals, works very well. And a can just costs peanuts prices and lasts very loooong specially on 2 cylinder engines.

Happy Boating