2001 Aquasport 27 Tournament Edition W/ Evinrude Outboards?

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I got a quick question for you. I am looking into purchasing a 27 foot aqua sport that has twin evinrude 225HP each 2 stroke motors. The outboards are fuel injected but they need new computers which can cost 4k for both. Can anyone give me some thoughts on evinrude outboards? Are they any good and reliable? And is it hard to replace the computers for the engines yourself? Thanks

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Its also interesting because it says that the outboard is a year 200o but on the cover it says 2006 and the motor is a fitch.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you might new to bust out another 4 thousand. If it were me, I would be on the phone to Evinrude talking to them about those motors.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you might new to bust out another 4 thousand. If it were me, I would be on the phone to Evinrude talking to them about those motors.
I dont mind busting out 4k on the computers but the boat is prices so low because of it that its so tempting. I just wanna know more on the motors the evinrude fitch. I hear they are very fragile and require alot of care.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The early yeas until about 2003 were very bad for the fichts,....

For me, The price of the boat would have to be cheap enough to allow me to budget for an upgrade to new motors,....

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
well the boat sells for about 30-40k and the guy is selling it for 16k.

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are the computers gone all together or just need to be replaced? You will have problems if they are gone all together. I would call DFI technologies and talk to them. Some of the original OMC engineers who designed those motors are the ones who started that company and you will get much better information talking to them then calling Evinrude or talking to anyone on the internet.

Personally my opinion on the FICHTS is that i like them but you either got a good one or a bad one and if the motor is still around after 15 years then its probably one of the good ones. A lot of people hate on them just because they dont understand them.

It is very simple to bolt on a couple computers and plug in some wires. What you may need is the OMC diagnostics software and cord which can be bought off ebay for about $100. If you can fill out all the technical information on the order form for the ECUs then you should be ok. The order forms for the ECUs needs a lot of specific technical information off of the injectors and ECUs because the new ECU will need to be programmed so everything will work together and every engine is different.

Last edited: