Traveling with a 2 stroke 9.9 on it's side for 12 hours?

I'll be driving from Lansing, MI to Copper Harbor, MI in July. I rented a 2 bedroom cabin with a free 14' boat for $450/wk. I'm bringing a 1990 9.9 Mariner (like new) to slap on the free 14' boat.. I want to buy a Harbor Freight 500# Cargo Carrier http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-deluxe-cargo-carrier-66983.html and then put the motor and gas tank on that. Keep the gas smell out of our van. I read it's ok if the motor is dry? What does dry mean? :) Don't run it for a couple of days while it's standing up straight? The 500# cargo carrier is like $49 with coupon. Thanks for any help guys!
Joe

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
Drain the water out of the motor by by holding it upright. Run the motor dry by running it until it is entirely out of gas (disconnect the gas hose) from the tank or switch off a gas cut off switch if your motor has one. Transporting it on its side shouldn't be a problem.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just make sure your lower seals are good and there is no gas or water in the motor and you will be fine, my 9.8 was shipped in a box from OR to Montana and took 4 days, and I can imagine what they put it through and it ran like a champ after I let it sit for a few hours.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have transported small 2 stroke motors on their side many many times.
As it will be above freezing, I can't see any reason to take any special steps before transporting it.

Just make sure it is secured well to the carrier. Use straps, not bungees.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If the shift lever is on the side don't lay the motor on it.
If your going to stop for an extended time you might went to cover it with a tarp
so as not to tempt the light fingered.Also will keep the motor dry if you run into a downpour.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Better transpor it as was designed to be layed down, that's with tiller facing upright position, place cushions at both engine's side as not to turn over while travelling...

Happy Boating

Drain the water out of the motor by by holding it upright. Run the motor dry by running it until it is entirely out of gas (disconnect the gas hose) from the tank or switch off a gas cut off switch if your motor has one. Transporting it on its side shouldn't be a problem.

I'll go with your advice. It's easy to do, and will give me some peace of mind. Thanks for all the good info guys. This place is a great resource of brains. I pick so many brains here I should be a Zombie :)

- Man-Overboard

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
tho there is nothing wrong with pckeen suggestions atall, I personally wouldn't waste my time draining the fuel.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you don't drain carb's bow dry could have an unwanted carb spill inside transport, better consume fuel leftovers on bowl while flushing engine on untill drops dead and voil?.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
op say he will be transporting on the outside if I read his post correctly.each to their own ,

UncleWillie

Captain
Better transpor it as was designed to be layed down, that's with tiller facing upright position, place cushions at both engine's side as not to turn over while travelling...
Happy Boating

+1
Most motors are shipped horizontally from the factory.
Clamping a piece of 2x4 in the transom clamps will help stop it from rolling around.

Draining any gas or water makes little difference to the engine.
It prevents making a mess under the engine.

64osby

Admiral
Prop up, little padding and covered up so as to not look like a motor and you will be fine.