Recommend a brand/model for me please.

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am looking at getting another small boat, 12ft fiberglass skiff type boat. This boat has a MAX HP rating of 18HP. I previously had this boat with an 8HP and it planed fine with 2 people, but was very slow. With just me, the 8hp was fun. I mainly fish to speed doesnt mean that much.

Anyways, I want to setup as a center console, but it seems most outboards in my size range are tiller. So the reason for this thread is to try and get ideas of some older- reliable manufacturers or good years between the 9.9-15HP. Right now, I have the OMC brands (Johnson and Evinrude) at the top of my list either in 9.9 or 15, as I believe the 9.9 is a simple swap to 15HP (correct me if I am wrong). Also, I have searched and saw many people convert the tiller to remote.

Any ideas on what years to avoid, what years cannot be setup as a remote, or any "good" years to recommend is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Preferable buy new 2 or 4 strokes. 4 stroke Evi in that range are rebadged Tohatsu, should cost tad more than original manufacturer. If not in pursuit of top speed, go for a Tohatsu 9.8 HP, top in its class.

Anyway buy the model that comes with electric start, remote control box, will need to buy separate throttle and and gear cables to suit your engine/center console distance.

​Happy Boating

Last edited:

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I am looking at getting another small boat, 12ft fiberglass skiff type boat. This boat has a MAX HP rating of 18HP. I previously had this boat with an 8HP and it planed fine with 2 people, but was very slow. With just me, the 8hp was fun. I mainly fish to speed doesnt mean that much.

Anyways, I want to setup as a center console, but it seems most outboards in my size range are tiller. So the reason for this thread is to try and get ideas of some older- reliable manufacturers or good years between the 9.9-15HP. Right now, I have the OMC brands (Johnson and Evinrude) at the top of my list either in 9.9 or 15, as I believe the 9.9 is a simple swap to 15HP (correct me if I am wrong). Also, I have searched and saw many people convert the tiller to remote.

Any ideas on what years to avoid, what years cannot be setup as a remote, or any "good" years to recommend is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Older Evinrude / Johnson motors are reliable, parts are all over the internet and the E/J forum on this site is great. I'd personally stay away from anything prior to 1977. Also, if you're looking for a 15hp E/J then buy one rather trying to convert a 9.9. On the other hand if you buy an older Tohatsu, they are also reliable , parts are harder to find but the 9.9 is easily upgraded to a 15hp.
Good luck

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, I was looking for a 2stroke this time around, not a 4 stroke. Mainly because I will be storing this outside and was considering taking the motor off when stored at the lot. I had a new 4stroke 8hp Tohatsu and that was about the MAX I felt comfortable with carrying on and off. Do they make 9-15HP remote older two strokes? My search has not given me much to go off of. I have rebuilt two previous two strokes- Nissan 5hp, and Merc 3.3hp so I am relatively good mechanically. I got no problem putting the work to get the motor tip top. I will continue to check out the E/J models listed

WIMUSKY

Staff member
No Title

Tillers can be converted to remote. Here's one. My buddy has a '71 Evinrude 18hp tiller converted for his pontoon. Not sure why it was mentioned to stay away from pre '77s. I know early '70s were great motors....

Attachments

• photo219333.jpg
    photo219333.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Remote older Tohatsu 2 strokes 9.9 & 15 HP are still under current production for the rest of the world. Probably hard to find in the USA. Anyway both weights 42 Kilos. To converst an oldie 2 stroke Evi 9.9 to 15 HP will need a carb + reed valve assy swap and gaskets

Happy Boating

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tillers can be converted to remote. Here's one. My buddy has a '71 Evinrude 18hp tiller converted for his pontoon. Not sure why it was mentioned to stay away from pre '77s. I know early '70s were great motors....

Pre 77 Points vs 77 up CDI. Just my opinion for the 9.9 & 15hp models as I have a 58 5.5hp with points that's my smoothest running engine.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
First thing that comes to mind is the Evinrude/Johnson 18 hp produced 57-72 Setup for remote operation can be adopted for electric start.
Routine parts readily available and many will interchange throughout the years 22 cu in ,weight is about 100 lbs.5000-5500 rpm
The 15 is only 13.2 cu in and about 100 lbs. the 15 can make as much as 7000 rpm.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm not a Mercury person by any means but I do know that Merc also made an 18hp 2 stroke recently that can be remote steer. Couldn't tell you the years available though.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Now a days you have lots of combinations to play with, tiller driven, tiller driven with electric start even tiller driven with electric start, trim and tilt and the full remote versions.

Happy Boating

DocTide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Research leads me to believe that the 15HP OMC 2-strokes were closer to 80-85lbs, not 100. This was the weight of my last 8HP Tohatsu 4stroke. Was manageable to take off, which I plan to do until I get my own place with a garage hopefully.

Anyways, plenty of 15hp OMC brands on craigslist. I wanted to know if 15hp OMC was good at a price from 700-850. Looks like I can get an 89 that appears in good shape for 700. New model years (99 for $850). Assuming these are in good shape, is this a good price or too much?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Used to have a 96 Evi 15 HP, engine worked good provided it was well maintained and serviced. The only mechanical part that disliked was the thermo system, primitive, obsolete compared to better thermos found in other brands of same HP and year. Flush engine on at fast idle speed after each outing or expect a short thermo life.

Happy Boating