Best product to fill in old screw holes in fiberglass deck and hull.

patrolcarr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently removed some old bow lights and a few small holes remain from the old screws. Can anyone recommend a good product to fill these holes? I used some household silicone as a temporary measure but I'd like a more permanant solution. Thanks, Pat.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Best product to fill in old screw holes in fiberglass deck and hull.

Clean out the holes good and use any type of fiberglass putty or epoxy or marinetex.Even a gelcoat repair is ok.If you are not going to retap the holes you can use almost anything.The gelcoat repair can be tinted to match the deck. Charlie

I've used Marine-Tex and then topcoated with gelcoat, sanded and polished. this covers holes well enough that you can't see them unless you know where they were.

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WARNING TO OTHERS!!!<br /><br />If you are ever going to do a permanent repair in the future, NEVER use a silcone product of ANY kind to patch it first!<br /><br />Reason being that it contaminates the area to be repaired later and it is almost imposable the clean residue of the silicone off! The only way to make sure is to remove some of the surrounding material before making a repair to make sure that the new matierial will adhear properly!!<br /><br />The products mentioned are great, but they will not stick if the area is not completly cleaned of silicone!!<br /><br />Hasbeen

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats