Worn driveshaft splines

Platypus E65

Seaman
Earlier my Johnson 55 model J55RSLC quit going forward or reverse and I noticed no water coming out of indicator. Back on land I removed the gear case to find that the splines of the driveshaft were worn. Never having seen this before, I'm wondering if the splines on the crankshaft would also be worn out? Anyone experienced this before?
TIA

Attachments

• photo217934.jpg
    photo217934.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Yep you can bet their worn too, looks like some brackish water usage

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Try to find a used one in opt cond, insertt fully , rotate and check. Fingers crossed, crankshaft probably not shot ?

Happpy Boating

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Had that with a 1988 70hp Evinrude. Took the crank splines with it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Usually a sign that the water pump was serviced improperly, .ie no grease added to the splines when reinstalling the unit. The driveshaft is stainless, but the crankshaft is NOT. The grease prevents the crankshaft splines from rusting out.

Platypus E65

Seaman
Thank you for the replies. I found one that looks quite new but, it's still on the gear case. I'm going to try figure out how to remove it. Do I need any special tools to remove the shaft from the gear case?

Platypus E65

Seaman
I couldn't figure out how to remove the shaft so I installed it with the gear case onto my motor and it does seem to catch onto the crankshaft. I'll probably send it out to get the drive shaft replaced as soon as I find a dealer that can work on it for a reasonable price and quick turn around. Thanks again for the replies.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The price of new replacement parts ( if available ) and labour will shock you.-------The spline in the crank is likely damaged as well.----------Bent exhaust housing and lack of grease causes these problems.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
As said above changing one with out the other won't last if you want to keep the motor.