Mercury fuel line connections.

Bandaide-AL

Cadet
Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but here goes.

I'm preparing a circa 1976 Mercury outboard for a trial run. I've acquired a replacement fuel line and am working on installing it. My question is about the bayonet style connectors on the Mercury and Fuel Tank.

How the "bleep" do you get them apart? I've tried a reasonable amount of force applied to push them towards their connection and then twist left but they will not pull off or out. Am I doing it wrong or is there a different set of steps. I'm used to the OMC connector with the side clip but these Mercury connectors are being difficult. I'm hoping y'all might have a suggestion or two before I get the BFH or blow torch out...

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yep, you should just have to push and turn to release the bayonet lock. When was the last time the connectors where apart?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the Mercury connectors can be a PIA to work. If you can get them to turn 1/4 CCW, they will be unlocked. You will likely need to pull pretty hard to separate them. After they are connected and un connected a few times, they work better.

BTW - blow torch + gasoline = bad combo.....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No Torch Please! Or hammer. Twist left and wiggle. The one on my motor is always tight and the one on the tank is much easier. I hardly ever remove the motor end, so more frequent disconnecting does make it easier.

Last edited:

Bandaide-AL

Cadet
Ok, OK....No torch...no hammer. ;) That's what I thought but wanted to confirm it. I just acquired this boat so I've no knowledge about when they might have been taken apart last. I will get a better grip on it though. ;) Thanks for the info!

Bandaide-AL

Cadet
Task complete. No BFH required, no open flames...just some strong invective. And some leverage. Thanks for the help, folks!