Will 2 cycle oil congeal?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
It looks like old paint in the bottom of the jug. The seller said it was 2 cycle oil and is in a proper container. Thanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'd say its probably the cheep stuff, or its not what he said it was.

I fill my kicker's gas tank from a 5 gallon can of pre-mix at home. Never need to fill the tank on the water. Nevertheless, I keep a measured quantity in a screw-top oil bottle on board just in case I needed it. I only use OMC oil.

Last year I read somewhere a comment that 2-cycle oil has a shelf life. On that basis I dumped out the bottle I had and refilled it with fresh oil. The old stuff looked like new and it was about 25 years old.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
If it looks like old paint and you wouldn't even think about putting it in a crankcase why mix it w/ gas??
Mike

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Can it.....yes....is it common....not really. Oil can separate over time, so shaking it can be a good thing to do before using it., if it's that old and thickened in the bottom I would just chuck it though.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Hard to say because old gasoline can also get pretty soupy and who knows what's in evaporated fuel these days. So I would certain dump that sludge out, clean the container and start fresh with everything. JMHO!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I have the remains of a case of Citgo TCW3 oil at least 20 years old kept in a unheated area with no excessive hot temps.
Still using it and looks and acts normal.If yours is congealed something happened.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The base oil has a very long shelf life, the shelf life of the additive package can vary a great deal though, it just depends on the exact oil, the container it's in, and how it's stored. Plastic containers breath, so some of the additives can escape, the longer it sits and the warmer it is, the more that may evaporate. Oil can also absorb moisture, this can cause it to break down and become acidic, so once opened it should be used up soon. Many companies say 4 years is reasonable life expectancy, But again, just because one exact oil may last 8 years when stored in perfect conditions doesn't mean another oil will.

There are also reactions that take place any time multiple chemicals are mixed together, so there are more additives mixed in to help stabilize the product and extend the shelf life. As these break down the properties of the oil can change, typically not to the good side. Some of these additives are in place to help keep all these different additives in suspension so they don't settle out, but it can oil work for so long, so the blend will eventually begin to separate, this is why you may see a thick layer at the bottom of the container.

Now if there is someone here that can simply look at a sample of old oil and say whether it's good or not they have far better skills than anyone I know. I can't see why anyone would use old oil when a gallon of fresh TCW 3 oil can be purchased for less than $20.00

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
I believe it was made by Mercury and was at least 5 years old.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
""Will 2 cycle oil congeal?"""
Yes it will especially if it has went thru several high hot/cold periods like setting in a outdoor shed.