Mercury Parts vs Tohatsu Parts

George222000

Recruit
Hi,
As most outboard 'experts' and 'professionals' appear to agree that Merc and Tohatsu are somewhat the same company when it comes to mechanics in their small outboards, and the tohatsu labeled parts are significantly less expensive would that not mean that you can order tohatsu parts for a merc engine?
Sorry if this hijacks the forum, Thanks.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
4 strokes carbs are same for 4-5-6, but fuel passages diam varies, for each HP his own carb.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Do Mercury and Tohatsu 4,5 and 6hp engines use the same carburetor?

No....Yes. If your question is are the carburetors the same on the 4, 5 and 6? No. If your question is can they each use one of the other carburetor's thereby increasing or decreasing the hp? Yes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi,
As most outboard 'experts' and 'professionals' appear to agree that Merc and Tohatsu are somewhat the same company when it comes to mechanics in their small outboards, and the tohatsu labeled parts are significantly less expensive would that not mean that you can order tohatsu parts for a merc engine?
Sorry if this hijacks the forum, Thanks.

Do Mercury and Tohatsu 4,5 and 6hp engines use the same carburetor?

Welcome aboard, George.

Hijacked two threads. Please do no reply to threads with no activity for 90 or more days. Thanks.

Started a new thread for you and combined both into a single thread because they are related.

redken

Recruit
hi, the 4hp and the 5hp according to the part lists are the same carb but with different jets. the 6hp is a different carb only by way of different sized drillings and jets, so they will all interchange to make the engine into a 4,5 or 6hp by increasing the rpm. armed with this, I have a 4hp into which I fitted the different sized 5hp jets and it ran crap,with less power than it had before the change which I put down to there being different ranges of jet sizes for the 5hp and I had obviously chose the wrong ones. not wanting to experiment any further, I bought the 6hp carb and it works great. one thing to note which really is annoying me is that the carb bought in the USA is about ?78 and in the UK is ?130, yes twice the price and I think there must be some price fixing going on,as I couldn't buy the carb from the USA as they wouldn't ship it or except a UK credit card!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

In reality they are same carbs with different size jets and different diam fuel passages. You have experienced changing 4 HP jets for 5 HP jets with no avail, worst performance than ever, been through this myself upgrading a Evinrude 9.9 to a 15, with awful performance by changing just jets, didn't knew at that time having wider fuel passages to take into account...

Happy Boating

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Changing jets is NEVER the correct way to do it, the jets are different because there are other differences in the motor, it could be one thing, or many things. Make those other changes and then the different jetting will be correct for the new configuration.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Portable engines Parts Manual will specify jet sets for each HP engine model, but doesn't say a thing about carbs having wider diam fuel passages, so boater ends buying an upgraded jet set for his engine to discover soon once boat is on water that what thought right about jet swaps will not perrform as expected, bad musique...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

bavmw

Cadet
I think the original 4, 5 or 6hp question specifically asked not only if you can change the carbs between HP's, but if you can change carbs between Mercury and Tohatsu brands, given that they are different companies. Is someone able to verify based on experience if you can interchange a 4 stroke 5hp Mercury circa 2007 carburetor with a Tohatsu carburetor of the same year and stroke?

I'm thinking of swapping Mercury carburetor part# 803522A05 with Tohatsu/Nissan parts 3R1032001M or 3AS032000

Any idea if this will work?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
One day this will not be an issue - all of our outboards will be manufactured in the same factory in China :)

bavmw

Cadet
Lol you're right.

In the meantime, any insight as to whether the merc/tohatsu carbs for this model are interchangeable?