Boat pulling hard right

Jdro2322

Recruit
Hey everyone I just recently bought my first boat. It's a 14 foot aluminum with a 1990 evinrude 25 on it. The engine runs perfectly and doesn't skip a beat. I've taken it out probably 6 or 7 times now and have had no problems. The only small issue that I do have is that the outboard wants to pull hard to the right. There is now trim tab on the engine so im a little perplexed as to how to diagnose this problem and fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Remember this is my first boat so take it easy on me 😉

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I presume that is tiller steer? A right-handed prop spins CW (looking from the rear), and tends to grab water on the right and push it left. This will cause the motor to want to pivot CCW (looking from the top). Some motors have a little fin above the prop that can be adjusted to neutralize this pull.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Seems that steering load on swivel bracket is way loose, there's a adjustig nut in middle SB, adjust CW untill boat goes at a straight water course when relesing hand from tiller. When moving tiller sideways with engine off or at neutral should feel resistance, if way loose, that's the problem, check. Re adjust from time to time as needed.

Check that engine sits right in middle transom too.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To do that will need to install a Trim Tab which doesn't exist at tthe moment. In order for boat to run straight you must have :
-Engine well transom centered
-Enough steering resistance
-Trim Tab correctly.adjusted

Happy Boating