Lightweight 2 cylinder 4 stroke - one ever made ?

Tugboat222

Recruit
Am looking for a lightweight (60lb range) 5-6 HP 4 stroke with gearshift that is not one cylinder. I know there is nothing available like that now - but has anyone in the past every made a motor that meets those requirements ?? I am not opposed to looking for something used - if such an animal exists.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

If you like 2 strokes 2 cylinder engines a Tohatsu 9.8 weights just over 27 Kg / 60 Lbs. A light feather champ on its class.

Or 82 Lbs for same 4 strokes model, you decide.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Tugboat222

Recruit
Thanks Sea Rider - I was hoping to find a 4 stroke so I could run off my existing gas feed to my main motor. If I go 2 stroke then I have to carry a separate tank and mix the gas and oil - and then figure out what to do with what I have left in the tank after fishing season is over -- all of which I am trying to avoid. The 8/9 HP two cylinder four strokes are just too heavy for me to lift off and on the back of the boat.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If you really want a 2 cylinder then its a 2 stroke. If you want full gear shift I think it has to be 5 hp or more.
If you can live with a straight driver the older 3 and 4 hp E/J motors are less than 40 lbs.As far as winterizing its the same for 2 or 4 stroke
motors.No need to empty the tank just use stabil or something. The only real difference with the 2 stroke is the extra tank.
If I was wanting a 4 stroke ease I would live with a 4 stroke single.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious- why are you opposed to a single cylinder? Almost every manufacturer make a 4-5-6 hp 4 stroke with an FNR gearbox, under 60 lbs, but they are all one-lungers.

Tugboat222

Recruit
It is all about the fact that one cylinder engines don't run very smoothly. They can also at certain trolling speeds cause vibration that is transmitted to the hull (esp aluminum hulls) and can make for a very irritating situation.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks Sea Rider - I was hoping to find a 4 stroke so I could run off my existing gas feed to my main motor. If I go 2 stroke then I have to carry a separate tank and mix the gas and oil - and then figure out what to do with what I have left in the tank after fishing season is over -- all of which I am trying to avoid. The 8/9 HP two cylinder four strokes are just too heavy for me to lift off and on the back of the boat.

I face the same dilemma with a 2-stroke OB and an I/O. My kicker isn't just for fishing, its a safety backup as well. To be reliable in all cases, you really need a redundant fuel system too. That's why i'm happy to have that little 6 gal tank. I modified my rear seat to fit it in. The tank is topped off and stabilized in the fall and I'm good to go with a full tank in the Spring.