outboard lower unit gear lube pic

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Does this look like normal gear lube? I drained it last fall when I winterized and put new in. Not sure if I might have a leak and what I should do this spring when I get it out of storage.

robert graham

Admiral
It looks good and clean to me....any water in the oil will cause a creamy/foamy/milkshake look to the oil and yours looks fine.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If ain't white milky color, it's good...After how many working hours are you changing that gear oil ?

Happy Boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you drain it just after running ?-----Did you let the oil sit for a couple of days ?---Could be full of air too.----If you are worried then pressure test the gearcase.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, but I disagree! It does look a little contaminated to me. It should be a clear dark green or clear dark brown. You may not have a major leak but I think certainly some water is getting inside the gear case. Check the gaskets on the fill/drain plugs and be certain the plugs are very tight, check the prop shaft seal, and check the drive shaft seal under the water pump. Also check the shift rod seal.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I agree with Frank. I bet it was dark green when you changed it last fall. There's moisture in that lube. What you have is milky green...

83mulligan

That oil does not have alot of hours on it. I changed it mid/late season because I found some fishing line wrapped behind the prop. I'm not sure what goes into changing the seals. It's a 90 HP Johnson. J90PLEEB. I think it might be best just to take it in and have it resealed and change the water pump out. I'm not the original owner of the boat and have only run the motor pretty lightly for 1 full season and a month or so the year before.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you put the oil in a glass jar and let it sit for a few days ?--Did you drain it right after running the motor ?---Have the lower unit pressure tested.-Get a quote from your favourite shop for a reseal job.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fill with new gear oil entire gear case, use it some days, weeks, drain it to check it out, if same bit contaminated go for a lower unit reseal, but that's me...

Happy Boating

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Just have the gear case pressure and vacuum checked and that will take all the guess work out.

64osby

Admiral
I'm in the minor water intrusion camp.

Put new seals in the drain and vent screw holes. As said above run it a few days and check it.

83mulligan

thanks for the responses. I'm going to run it a few days this spring and check it with a pressure tester as recommended

robert graham

Admiral
Just remember that if it's saltwater then it's a lot more critical to the bearings and gears than a little freshwater.....just a bit of saltwater in the gear case can turn everything black with corrosion.....not good!...