Cranking outboard motors for a second when out of water.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And what about airlines that delay maintenance or " forget " about doing scheduled maintenance ?----What about maintenance done on jet liners in say in other countries where techs can not read english technical manuals and rely on instructions from the boss / supervisor ?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Im a start it on muffs, let it warm up, then go to the ramp guy.

I dont want to be that guy stuck there messing with it. It happens, I just try to prevent it.

This is me as well. My Chrysler is an 82 model. I've only owned her for about 2 years. We only go out to the lake on weekends. I start her up in my driveway before I drive all the way to the lake just so I know everything is running right. I realize she may not start at the ramp, but at least I've checked her out at the house where my tools are making a repair somewhat more feasible. I don't usually do it if the boat has been used the previous day.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I've never found a need to do this. I run my motor on muffs and top off the battery charge the day before I take it out. Then start it on the trailer after backing in (water intake submerged) and power off the trailer. From what I've seen, pretty standard practice here at the San Diego and Mission Bay launch ramps (concrete surface, so no issue with power loading or launching).

I do, however, occasionally see guys firing up there motors up in the parking lot and letting them run for as long as a minute. Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Tnstratofam

Commander
To clarify my above post I don't start my motor dry. It is either hooked up to muffs in my driveway with water running, or in the lake with the lower unit under water before I ever turn the key. I don't agree with the op's employer. I don't feel it's safe to ever start a motor dry. That's just my opinion though, and I'm not a marine mechanic.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If these motors are maintained on a regular basis there should be no need to test crank them before going to work.---In the case of multiple users a log book should be kept and reviewed by someone who cares.

calvinyonce

Cadet
Thanks for all of the comments! It still sounds like the general consensus here is its a bad idea no matter how long you do it for. I think I will just follow the current procedure they have going and crank away. Not likley to change anyway considering a fierce opposition I recieved when mentioning it might be a poor practice. One thing is for sure my 72' 25hp Evinrude wont get this treatment and thats why its still going strong after 43 years. I think whats still not clear to me is how detrimental is a poor pumping impeller and water pump to the motor over time.

foodfisher

Captain
Things folks need to consider about OB engines and water pumps. When you install muffs on your OB and turn on the water, you have successfully pushed water up to the water impellor and it is lubricated with that water for start up. When you put your OB in the lake (or river) again you allow water to seep into the water pump system for lubrication upon start up. But when you simply crank any OB without water you take the change that there is zero water/lubrication at the impellor and therefore friction starts instantly and can cause wear very quickly. I know some think there is left over water in there, but that really depends when the last time it was cranked... Just some info...
Analogy: Run your windshield wipers dry a couple times then depend on them when it's raining.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
From post # 1 it appears the motors are bought / maintained / replaced by " tax dollars "-----------Then there is never a problem , tax dollars are easy to spend.

Fed

Commander
I'm going to dry crank today for 15 seconds, that's exactly how OMC recommend to do it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Fed, in what book or wherever did you find OMC's recommendation ????

Fed

Commander
In the genuine omc manual to load test a battery boobie.

Fed

Commander
1988, 90HP, P/N 507663, Page 7-6 boobie, my point being that OMC don't appear to worry if you crank a motor over without water.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Found it and I guess you brought up a good point. I guess there's all kinds of pros and cons about this situation. Thanks for the reply.