twin- single 6 hp johnson- evinrude?

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class
The earlier models of these little outboards were twins- when did they go to singles?From what I have read on the board- the twins seemed to come highly recommended.What years should I be looking at?

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: twin- single 6 hp johnson- evinrude?

I answeared an add in the paper for a 99 5 hp or 6 hp johnson and he told me it was a single- I thought they were all twins, with only the smallest a single.Maybe somebody who knows could verify this.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 2000 brochure shows a 5hp single looper, though the 4 and 6hp were still twins.<br /><br />Rebadged? Maybe Suzi, maybe Tohatsu??

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

it's for a 19' grumman canoe I picked up, and I understand a 5 or 6 hp is about right , so that's what I'm looking for- hopefully one not used as a kicker in the salt chuck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think 6hp is a bit much for a canoe, RBF. Remember it is a displacement hull and really doesn't need much power to reach a decent displacement speed. 3hp will move it faster than 2 strong paddlers.<br /><br />My first choice would definitely be a 3 to 4hp JohnnyRude twin. The gearshift 4s are a bit heavier, but the availability of Neutral is very convenient.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 4-stroke 6hp Johnsons are single cylinder outboards. The 2 stroke 6's are twins.

ratherbefishin

Petty Officer 1st Class

anybody know the practical load for a 19'Grumman?I'll be using on a river,some current at times,and then the river widens out.3 of us are going- and maybe a moose, quartered

sloopy

Commander

Most larger small outboards (larger outboards in the smaller horse power range) are using single cylander engines to save cost. The smaller small outboards have had single cylanders for at least 5 years... most of the single cylanders are fourstrokes.