Greasing the drive shaft

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all,

When I was changing my water pump I put everything together like it was. Later I saw a post here and someone said that the drive shaft needs to be greased. Do I need to take it apart again and get that done?

Also this was my first time replacing a water pump. I got all parts replaced and when I was putting the housing onto the impeler I was turning the drive shaft clockwise. I was also told to put some dish soap inside the housing and on the impeler. I did not try to turn the outboard on. will that be a problem if I wait untill spring?

Thanks
Zipp

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Steering housing should have grease nipples, the interior should always be greased to avoid inside corrotion and rotatting parts as bushings, steering friction plate wearing faster than when not greased at all.

If engine will sitt for long time periods it's wise turning flywheeel with rope, hand, or electrically from time to time as for the impeller not to seat at a given resting position, impellers liners are not plain round, are eliptical, so some portion of the impelle remains compressed at all times while the opposite remains free. Depending on the engine brand and material used some impellers deforms least than others when at rest for long time periods.

Happy Boating

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
So you are saying take off the lower unit and grease the shaft :)

I can turn the flywheel by hand a few times. I suppose I need to turn it clockwise?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Zippy, I always grease the SS driveshaft of my OBs to protect from corrosion, as I boat in salt water. In freshwater, with a SS driveshaft, it should not matter.

As for the second part of your question...I do not know how the rubber of the impeller will like the dish soap you used to lube it. It will certainly be OK for a while, but I am not sure if it will damage it long term.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Zippy, I always grease the SS driveshaft of my OBs to protect from corrosion, as I boat in salt water. In freshwater, with a SS driveshaft, it should not matter.

As for the second part of your question...I do not know how the rubber of the impeller will like the dish soap you used to lube it. It will certainly be OK for a while, but I am not sure if it will damage it long term.

On the water-pump deal... What should I use instead of the dish soap. I was told that the dish soap was only to get it going when you first start the outboard.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Dish soap is perfect for lubricating the impeller for installation ease. The impeller is rubber and regular grease may attack it or cause it to harden. The soap will not. The first time you start the engine in water or muffs the dish soap will go away.

A light coating of grease on the top splines of the drive shaft will prevent the shaft from cold welding into the crankshaft. However you need not drop the lower unit just to do this. Usually there is some residual grease and it should protect the drive shaft until the next time you do need to drop the lower unit. Also, many newer engines have a rubber seal that presses against the crankshaft to help prevent water from entering the splines. However--if the engine is regularly used in salt water it is good preventive practice to grease it now.

Remove the prop and grease the prop shaft. This will help prevent corrosion welding of the hub to the shaft. Do that every time you remove the prop or at least once a season.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Dish soap is perfect for lubricating the impeller for installation ease. The impeller is rubber and regular grease may attack it or cause it to harden. The soap will not. The first time you start the engine in water or muffs the dish soap will go away.

A light coating of grease on the top splines of the drive shaft will prevent the shaft from cold welding into the crankshaft. However you need not drop the lower unit just to do this. Usually there is some residual grease and it should protect the drive shaft until the next time you do need to drop the lower unit. Also, many newer engines have a rubber seal that presses against the crankshaft to help prevent water from entering the splines. However--if the engine is regularly used in salt water it is good preventive practice to grease it now.

Remove the prop and grease the prop shaft. This will help prevent corrosion welding of the hub to the shaft. Do that every time you remove the prop or at least once a season.

Thanks for the helpful info Frank.

So at least I don't have to take the water pump assembly off again. I have an older Mercury 1974 50HP. When I took the LU off the shaft looked like it was never greased. That is why I put it back the way it was. It was showing some rust on the shaft. I thought about taking a steel brush and brush the rust off but again decided to put it back the way it was. Last two water pump changes I had the mechanic do it, and it clearly looks like that he didn?t grease it so I thought it didn?t matter.

I do grease the PROP shaft every year. I use the Mercury grease (I forgot what the name is). Should I use the same grease on the drive shaft?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Mercury markets a " spline grease " and you realy need to take it apart again to do that.-----Any mis-alignment between lower unit and crankshaft could result in wear on the splines of the driveshaft and splines of the crankshaft.---Both are expensive to fix !!----------So take a 1/2 hr of your time and put grease on these splines !!

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
One of my co-workers told me today that I need to be careful when greasing the shaft. He said NOT to put any grease on the very top. He also said just to put grease on 3/4 of the shaft as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Zippy, A lot of those older Mercs had non stainless steel driveshafts. I would recommend grease on the entire length of the driveshaft. Even if you boat in freshwater, the grease is a good idea, because it will help keep the rust down. A rusty driveshaft will need to be cleaned if you want to replace the driveshaft seal, which is a common repair.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Chris,

Sounds good. I will get a steel brush and clean the rust off, grease and put back together.
Thanks
Zipp

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Zippy: You grease the splines LIGHTLY. If you gob grease onto the end and get some into the crankshaft splines you risk a hydraulic lock when the lower unit is re-assembled onto the engine. This will pre-load the water pump and bearings and possibly cause damage. Again, a light coating is all that is needed. This is definitely NOT a case of "if some is good, more is better, and too much is beat!" LOL

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Here it is...

Attachments

• photo215874.jpg
    photo215874.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 4

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Chris,

Sounds good. I will get a steel brush and clean the rust off, grease and put back together.
Thanks
Zipp

I would skip the brush and use a piece of emery cloth and do a shoe shine motion.you wouldn't want to take a chance of a wire bristle winding up in the wrong place.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use a screwdriver to clean rust from splines.---Left over abrasives from emery would do damage to the splines.