Amsoil full synthetic oil?

sjbs

Seaman
Has anyone used Amsoil full synthetic oil at 100-1 in a premix outboard? Thanks,Steve.

alldodge

Staff member
Has anyone used Amsoil full synthetic oil at 100-1 in a premix outboard? Thanks,Steve.

Not on an outboard but have used it for many years in all my out 2-cycle stuff without any problems. Chain saw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I tried the Amsoil 2-stroke full synthetic marine formula once years ago at 75:1 in my 1988 125HP Force motor. Burned through about 3/4 of a tank (20gal.). Didn't see any noticeable reduction in smoke or difference in engine performance so I went back to what I was using before at 50:1.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are full synthetic 2 stroke oils supposed to be burned at 100:1 or will depend entirely on engine manufacturer. Synthetic oils seems less viscous to the eye at least while being poured into tank. Should one expect a better engine performance with these oils ?

Happy Boating

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I've been using Amsoil HPI at about 60:1 for 6 years.

robert graham

Admiral
I've been using the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic oil for many years in my C90 2 stroke premix at 50:1 and very little smoke or spark plug deposits....with carbon being a potential problem in 2 stroke outboards I want to do whatever I can to prevent it....The oil is a bit expensive but I believe it's worth it. I'm guessing the Amsoil oil is similar to the Pennzoil product but can't be sure?....

64osby

Admiral
I use the Pennzoil Synthetic like rg, 50/1

Low smoke, haven't pulled the plugs in a couple years to see what they look like. Runs great with very little up-keep, knock on wood.:watermelon:

sjbs

Seaman
The reason I was asking if anyone tried Amsoil at 100-1 was to see if anyone had any engine problems.Amsoil claims you can run 100-1 with no problems and have less smoke,no carbon on plugs or rings and no carbon build up in exhaust ports.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There have been many threads in the past about this subject, the conclusion seems to be that almost nobody has actual oil related failures no matter what they use, even Amsoil at 100:1 So this makes people feel very safe (and defensive) with whatever product they happen to use.

Most people are just tired of re-hashing (arguing about) the same old topics so they don't chime in.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The oil ratio argument goes something like this....

Most engines don't need 50:1 unless they are at full noise, where maximum stress is.
Most oil injected engines usually run mid range in the 80 to 100:1 area.
The early Merc DFI engines ran 400:1 at idle and very low speeds.
For a while some Johnson/Evinrudes and some of the Jap engines recommended 100:1.

All of these work well... The problems come when you store the engine. At 50:1 there is plenty of oil in the engine to protect the metal surfaces and bearings. But when you get down to the 100:1 it starts being a little thin. At 400:1 it's definitely too thin. Merc's answer to that problem is to shoot a wad of oil into the engine as it's shutting down.

So, what's the best ratio? Based on the need for oil in the engine to protect during 'non-use' as much as use, I'd stick with 50:1....

Chris.......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Over the years a few manufacturers actually recommended 100:1 ratios but it didn't take long for them to step back up to 50:1. The problem seemed to be not enough residual lubrication to prevent rust durying layup. In my snowmobile days many years ago, I visited a shop that had a crankshaft on the counter that had been lubricated with full synthetic oil (brand unknown) and you could hardly tell it was a crankshaft. Awful looking thing. I personally would not run at 100:1 but I would not hesitate at 60:1 or possibly 70:1. But if there is a 6 month layup period involved, the last tank of the year would be 50:1 without hesitation.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I used Amsoil Saber at 100:1 ratio for one Canadian summer with a Johnson 9.9. All was fine Tried same ratio with a Force 15 Hp for one summer and sounded like it was lacking lubrification. Could be all in my head. Following years both OB's ran at 80:1 with same oil. HPI was tried with both OB's and ran perfect. This coming summer I may experiment with Bio-degradable tc-w3 oils . Cheers