HIgh Altitude carb kit for Force 50 1986 motor

Richard8129

Recruit
I recently purchased a 14 ft. Bayliner with a Force 50 outboard (1986) and it seems a bit slow. I changed the prop from a 12 to a 10 3/8 which made it better but it is fairly slow with 4 people in it. Since I are running the boat in Big Bear Lake Cal where the elevation is 6800 feet, I was wondering if there is a high altitude carb kit for this motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Chrysler became Force circa 1985 Sea level jets are the same 0.084. 6250 to 8250 is 0.078 Chrysler part number 014306.
Don't believe there is a kit for elevation.
Mercury took over Force at some point, not doing part support now but maybe worth a try.
Motor uses Tillotson carbs.
You might try in the Force Repair Forum for more Force expert help.
Tell them I suggested you try there.

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You are in a very unfortunate situation: The 14 foot Bayliner is only rated for 50 horsepower. Even under the best of conditions, four people is a heavy load for that hull because of design and bottom area.

At that altitude, the Force is only delivering about 40 horsepower and even though all engines produce less horsepower, it is the ID plate and decal horsepower the law enforcement go by. Thus, you can not legally hang on more horsepower..

Now, at that altitude the engine is running way too rich and yes, a leaner high speed jet will correct that. You will see a slight gain in horsepower but nothing to write home about. The combination of a lower pitched prop and leaner jet MAY give acceptable performance but marginal at best.

If you can afford it, a late 90s Force will bolt right up and since that engine is a bigger bore, more cubic inches, and bigger carb, it delivers a more usable 50 horsepower.

But really, if you want to carry four people you need a bigger boat and engine.

fishrdan

Admiral
SS gave you some good info, but now comes the hard part of locating the jets. Most likely, local shops won't have the parts or won't be able to order them, count yourself lucky is they can get them for you. I had to find some NLA parts for my 89 Force (Chrysler) and it took a couple hours of scouring the internet, but I did find a shop that had them, pure luck I thought...

But as Frank said, that combo even in perfect high altitude tune, very well may not deliver the desired performance with 4 adults onboard. Leaner jets and even a lower pitched prop are the best you can do. A tiny tach will help select the prop pitch, though it may very well be a waste of money if the limited HP isn't going to work.

Frank, is there a lower gear ratio lower unit available for these outboards? I know I've seen talk of some outboards having different ratios due to year, HP or usage. Probably not, but I thought I'd ask as I know this is one way to compensate for high altitude,,, lower gear ratio.

64osby

Admiral
Another thing to check would be if the boat is waterlogged.

That era of Bayliners were known to have issues.

If you are carrying excess water in the foam it will slow you down.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I think we are making this more of an issue than he is.He just said it seemed a bit slow.
If the boat is sound I might be tempted to get a similar year 50 Evinrude or Johnson, jetted right.
I think it would out perform the Force and he could find the needed parts.