Location of Bulb in Fuel Line

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a 12' Hi-Laker a few weeks ago and it came with an 8 HP Evinrude. After using SIBs for years, this is a very nice upgrade. A problem I have when driving it solo at some speed though, is that the bow rises, causing me to plow through the water and obstructing my visibility. I'm sure this is common.

I was just given a 6 gallon gas tank and want to put it up front to tackle those problems and to get its bulk out of the way. My current fuel line is long enough to reach but the inline primer bulb is right by the tank, which would present a problem of convenience, if I move the tank forward. In there any disadvantage to repositioning the bulb so that it will be closer to the motor, and thus more accessible? Thanks in advance for any advice you are able to provide.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You should be able to squeeze the bulb until it's hard, start the motor and go boating. I only have to squeeze the first start of the day, after that it's crank and go. I squeeze it just before launch and never touch it the rest of the day.

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have my bulb at the motor end of a 12 ft hose, just before the water separator. I have no problem. To try it, just turn the bulb around so the arrow points at the short end. The end-of-hose connectors are the same.

DLH

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I have a hose of around 14ft long and it did not work well at the motor. But as stated I only need to pump it up once per outing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On larger boats like my 21 footer, the bulb is near the engine, not near the fuel tank. You should be able to put it where it is convenient.

Of course, if you have a vent on that 6 G tank, that you need to open, move to the bow, open the valve, prime the engine and then move to the rear to operate the motor. In that case the bulb can be near the tank.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Hold the bulb in a vertical position when priming and this will make it easier. Arrows up.

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you everyone. My takeaway from this is that the bulb could certainly go at the engine end of the fuel line, which is what I was hoping for but also that it is not something I'm likely to have to use often per trip, so why bother. For now I will try the tank in the front, with the bulb up there also, and see how that works. And worst case scenario, move the bulb later, if the location turns out to be a problem. Again, Thanks Everyone. Your input is appreciated.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a long fuel hose for my sailboat, with the tank in the cockpit, and the OB way out on the stern.
To eliminate multiple trips back and forth, I installed a bulb at each end. Works great.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
When operating alone you may want to use a tiller extension to get your weight in the middle seat.
It turns the boat from a slug to a rabbit.