What older 2 stroke? 3 options

K-2

Chief Petty Officer

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I personaly prefer the Evinrudes,at least to me they are easier to repair than the mercs. I do have a 35 merc,It runs well but having worked on them in the past,just seems harder to me than the rudes. Mt rudes run like a top,and seem to have less issues.
I guess its just like a Ford/chevy thing,each to their own. I'm sure others will chime in and shoot me down....lol

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 60 yr old 15 HP 'rude and it starts easy and runs like a clock all day. I've had it about 8 yrs and have had to change the water pump, coils, points and condensers. Put new seals in the LU last winter due to water intrusion. I feel I can trust it as well as a new one.
Mike

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The older they get the more you should go with
Evinrude or Johnson, parts are easier to find and lower in cost. Many Merc parts become NLA

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
As I was told, way back when, the smaller Mercs from the late 60's thru 70's didn't use stainless steel in their drive shafts and many had problems with driveshaft seals leaking.

64osby

Admiral
What boat is it going on? What is max HP?

I have several late 50"s and early 60's motors, 5.5, 10, and 18 hp. All were revived and run fantastic. The only downside of the age of these motors is they use more oil, 24/1 mix verses 50/1 mix.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It was made from the late 70's to some time in the 2000's not sure of the year it discontinued.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The decals on the motor shown indicate that it is an 85 model or so.-----------Lots of decals being made / bought these days for cosmetic " upgrade " on them.----The motors made after 92 had more displacement and different porting and run much nicer.-----These models were first made in 1974.--If you can do some of your own work then older 2 strokes offer you " cheaper boating fun " for sure.