Winterizing question

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all,

It is that time of the year.

I have decided to do all the anual maintenance myself this time around. My question is: does it matter when the maintennce is done? At the end if season or at the beginning?

So far I have drained all old fuel from the fuel lines and the carburators. I have fogged the outboard.

I still have to change the spark pluggs, fuel filter, lower unit oil, water pump, and prop maintenance. I have all the parts purchased but if it does not matter I would prefer to do it in the spring when it warms up.

Thanks
Zipp

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Change lower unit oul before it freezes. Water in the oil can crack your lower unit

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
I sure hope there is no water in the LU. That would have been no good. Boat is in the garage where it's never below freezing.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Spark plugs, fuel filter, water pump change and prop maintenance can be done in Spring. Useless in winter if combo will remain in Terra Firme...

Happy Boating

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do it all when you lay the boat up in the fall. 1) Everything you need is going to cost more next spring (fact of life). 2) When that first nice day comes along unexpectedly next spring, and your boat isn't ready to go, you're going to say "darn, I wish I had done this last fall!" (more facts of life).

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
I actually agree with that. Hopefully I will catcha a nice day to get it done