correct size trolling plate for 6 hp evinrude

bobjoe1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need the correct trolling plate for evinrude 6 hp-I need to get down to 1.5 mph and can't do without motor dying

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I need the correct trolling plate for evinrude 6 hp-I need to get down to 1.5 mph and can't do without motor dying

Ayuh,.... A quick, Cheap cure is to drag a couple of ole plastic 5 gallon pails off the bow,...

Drift socks work Great, if ya wanta buy, or build 'em,...

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
A 8" prop at 700 rpm calculates to about 1 mph. 700 rpm is pretty much standard. If it won't idle slow enough
it has a problem. If on one cylinder it won't idle slow enough. It's not unusual to be on one cylinder and not realize but for the lack of power.
It also may have a idle mixture adjustment that can be adjusted for better idle.
Depending on the boat a 6 Evinrude can make about 12 mph.May have to move weight forward to help it plane.
What year motor?What make and model boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My guess is he trolls for a specific fish with an ideal speed being no more than 1.5.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The motor should idle right down.-----I would say you need to look at issues with the motor.-------Inspect / repair the motor first.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What about making a simple plate to go behind the prop to divert some of the thrust? And finding faster fish is a great idea... :facepalm: