14Ft Aluminum Row Boat with 1964 Johnson 9.5 Seahorse

TarponFishin

Cadet
I recently got my boat back into the water after painting with rustoleum oil based paint, I noticed I have been acquiring small amounts of water, I am wondering what would be the best method to fix this as I keep my boat in the water.It is a riveted boat and I was wanting to repaint with a clear coat(The paint on the bottom is already coming off just after a week) Also I am debating on a new motor, my Johnson has a small tick and I recently have cleaned carb got new fuel line and gas tank and have been running ethanol free gas. The motor works just seems its thrust isnt as strong or something It doesnt seem to go as fast to me. I have taken it out three times aside from the small leak I am wondering if I should check the points or maybe change the lower unit oil? I am unsure when it was done last ( I have had the motor over a year but It wasn't running for about 6 months). I am new to working with outboard and recently had fix my rip cord. Anyways what would be adequate to push my boat? I was thinking about a 15hp short shaft but what is the best? Yamaha, Merc, Evinrude or Honda Also should I just go with a 9.9? Any suggestions greatly appreciated !! thanks I Am in Tampa FL if anyone has something local

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I recently got my boat back into the water after painting with rustoleum oil based paint, I noticed I have been acquiring small amounts of water, I am wondering what would be the best method to fix this as I keep my boat in the water.It is a riveted boat and I was wanting to repaint with a clear coat(The paint on the bottom is already coming off just after a week) Also I am debating on a new motor, my Johnson has a small tick and I recently have cleaned carb got new fuel line and gas tank and have been running ethanol free gas. The motor works just seems its thrust isnt as strong or something It doesnt seem to go as fast to me. I have taken it out three times aside from the small leak I am wondering if I should check the points or maybe change the lower unit oil? I am unsure when it was done last ( I have had the motor over a year but It wasn't running for about 6 months). I am new to working with outboard and recently had fix my rip cord. Anyways what would be adequate to push my boat? I was thinking about a 15hp short shaft but what is the best? Yamaha, Merc, Evinrude or Honda Also should I just go with a 9.9? Any suggestions greatly appreciated !! thanks I Am in Tampa FL if anyone has something local

:welcome: to iboats

Have a look at this thread it pertains to leaking rivets
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...295773-leaking-rivets-on-small-aluminum-boats

boobie

Supreme Mariner
See if you can find out what the horse power rating is on the boat. Sometimes you get surprised.

I've used the Gluvit recommended in post # 2 years ago and it really works good on aluminum boats.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
TF You have a lot of questions, that is good. There are many here that can help.

I recently got my boat back into the water after painting with rustoleum oil based paint, I noticed I have been acquiring small amounts of water, I am wondering what would be the best method to fix this as I keep my boat in the water.It is a riveted boat and I was wanting to repaint with a clear coat(The paint on the bottom is already coming off just after a week)

Paint adhesion to aluminum is all about prep. Clean with acetone prior to an light coat of etching primer for the bare aluminum, prime then paint. If it is in salt free water I would concentrate on the motor more than the bottom of the boat, only the fish see that.

Also I am debating on a new motor, my Johnson has a small tick and I recently have cleaned carb got new fuel line and gas tank and have been running ethanol free gas. The motor works just seems its thrust isnt as strong or something It doesnt seem to go as fast to me. I have taken it out three times aside from the small leak I am wondering if I should check the points or maybe change the lower unit oil? I am unsure when it was done last ( I have had the motor over a year but It wasn't running for about 6 months).

Do a compression test, report the numbers, check your spark. Make sure the timing is set correctly. If you haven't changed the lower unit oil do so. Check to see if it is milky. When was the last time the impeller was changed?

I am new to working with outboard and recently had fix my rip cord. Anyways what would be adequate to push my boat? I was thinking about a 15hp short shaft but what is the best? Yamaha, Merc, Evinrude or Honda Also should I just go with a 9.9? Any suggestions greatly appreciated !! thanks I Am in Tampa FL if anyone has something local

It is almost always less expensive to fix what you have, and make it run like new, than it is to just buy a newer motor which may have the same or other issues. I say focus on getting you motor running good then if the boat will except more HP and you want more then look for a different motor. You can then keep yours as a spare or sell to pay for the other one.

TarponFishin

Cadet
Thanks for the quick responses! I will take a look at my local Wal-Mart fpr Gluvit, Reguarding the bedliner paint on the boat floor has anyone heard of that? the paint on the bottom of my boat is peeling pretty good I will post pictures I think this additional drag has something to do with it also. Seems that the sides out of water are holding up pretty well yet the inside floor and the side with water contact is peeling pretty quickly only on the middle though. Also reguarding algae growth what would be the best repellant? MY boat has been in the water maybe 4 weeks and already developing a barnacle/algae slime. Where would the impeller be located? I will do some research and if anything this motor will be my guinea pig :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even Rustoleum w/ the added enamel hardener isn't intended to be used on a boat left IN the water. Day or 2, maybe 3, but not much longer..... That's part of why its peeling, regardless of paint prep.

Walmart probably isn't going to carry Gluvit or Coat-It (black alternative to Gluvit) but Iboats does, as do many online retailers. It isn't for AFTER paint, it's used before paint.

I would NEVER apply bedliner to the aluminum of a boat's hull or deck (or sole, not floor). Does your boat have a deck of some sort (plywood or aluminum) or is it just the upside of the bottom of the boat, w/ ribs/stringers exposed:
GEDC0398.jpg

Used to have a poorly applied bedliner product, directly on the bare aluminum, that was a complete PITA to remove:
DSCN1915.jpg

Now if you've got a deck installed so that there is a flatish walk space that you want to apply the bedliner to, then maybe, but I'd never put it on any part of the boat's aluminum structure. Bedliner isn't a penetrating sealer against water intrusion, and will mask any damage when it starts, so seal the wood really well before applying bedliner to it. I'd recommend using epoxy as a sealer, 2 coats each side, coating the edges w/ every coat.

TarponFishin

Cadet
Thanks, As for the bottom of my boat it is just the upside of the bottom of the boat, As it is already painted I think an A/B Epoxy is going to be my best bet and then I will just repaint. should I have used something different versus the oil based rustoleum? Atleast for the inside floor? Is this just a hopeless fantasy of a beautifully painted aluminum boat, both inside and out? Sure is starting to seem like a nightmare :\

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Repainting is the fantasy. If you want it painted, you will need to strip it down to bare metal and start over with the proper prep and primer.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
The 9.5 is not the swiftest. The typical "10" in fine tune on the reasonably fast hull would make about 21 mph.
Your 9.5 should be in the ball park On a light reasonably fast boat.18 - 20 mph.

arcadiainc

Seaman Apprentice
The little 9.5s have kinda of gotten a bad rap. They are not the easiest to work on and the horsepower is more like 8 than 9.5. On the upside they, in good tune, crank easily and run smoothly. The gear shift in the front is very handy. Off the boat they are lightweight and have a great carry handle. Clamped on the transom they have a very low profile. It is my favorite small boat motor. Get it running right and enjoy it.

64osby

Admiral
Walmart probably isn't going to carry Gluvit or Coat-It (black alternative to Gluvit) but Iboats does, as do many online retailers. It isn't for AFTER paint, it's used before paint.

Pretty sure I saw the you can order Gluvit from Wally World online.