repower o/b questions

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This has probably been covered but I was unable to find the answer when searching the site (admittedly didnt spent a ton of time) and have read in other places differing info. Because I received a ton of great info and support during my restore I trust what I read from the experts here. I am looking at repowering my 1993 Monarch 1900 from its current screamer, a '75-78 Merc inline 6 that even the mechanics havent determined if its a 1500, 1400, or 1150 (long story about mislabling and badging with no serial number). I am currently looking at a 1988 Yamaha 130 and a 1995 Yamaha 115. The boat is rated max 135hp so no issue there. My biggest question, are the mounting holes standard industry wide? In other words, If I pull the Merc off, will the Yami bolt right up using the current transom holes?

Another question, Im leaning toward the 130hp but there is no hour meter. The motor is clean, being sold through a reputable shop and compression check is 130 across the board. With a service done and not including controls they are asking $1200. Does this seem reasonable? Ive tried comparing on line and finding O/B values but its nearly impossible. The newer 115 is being sold without controls for $2300. Anything I put on will be an upgrade and while it would be nice to have $5k for a newer 4 stroke the value of the rest of the boat doesnt warrant that much upgrade.

Thanks in advance

​~RNP

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I do not remember (But I will guess they are)if the mounting holes for the Merc were at the " BIA standard mounting " (<<< Google that phrase and look at the images ;) ) I would go with the cheaper of the two motors since it comes with controls. Worst case scenario is you will be filling the old holes with epoxy and dowels and have to re-drill for new mounts.

Good luck

Dukedog

Captain
Gonna need ta plug and drill new bottom holes for either motor.......Both used, no warranty! 130 and be happy

Referenced in link above.........
Tha big (in-line/V6) Merc stuff changed somewhere very early 80's to pattern of today which is same as tha other brands.

Last edited: