Hydraulic Steering

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 16' McKee Craft CC with a 2003 90 hp Johnson Motor. I noticed my steering was getting stiffer and stiffer, and the boat was not much fun to drive anymore. It was just hard to maneuver period. I was going to need a new cable and a new anti-feedback helm control. When I priced everything out, I started thinking about hydraulic steering.

I found a great deal on a brand new BAYSTAR steering system. By the time I priced everything out, there was only about $125 difference in price. The unit was very easy to install, and the difference in steering was simply amazing. I can drive the boat with one finger, and turn the motor with ease at any speed. Well worth the price to me...I was going to replace my old system anyway.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That was my experience with Hydraulic steering-BayStar. I've installed two systems, over the years. Both in Boston Whalers.

robert graham

Admiral
I'll bet that once you've got it you'd never go back to the old steering....I've still got the old steering and you can't really take your hand off the steering wheel for long while under power....

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Its a huge difference Robert. Hydraulic Steering makes my little boat so much easier to drive...and makes it easier for my wife or my son to drive as well. No more steering torque either. It really was an easy installation too.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Was out about 20+ mi.from Ocean City, Md.
Trolling for tuna.
Caught a fish and was trying to go back to the spot and the steering did a CLUNK!!!CLUNK!!CLUNK!!!
Twin 85/s and a long way back to the dock.

Got home and installed the Seastar Hyd. System.
Never any problems other than O-ring.
I flipped it over and it stopped leaking long enough to get the right one from my kit.(bought an assortment of o-rings)
I still have the system and have swapped it to another center console with 85's.

Last edited: