Quicksilver Controls on Yamaha

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just a quick question i have controls for a 90hp 80s merc with power trim - is there anyway i can use this controls with a yamaha 55 with trim? I'm sure I've read it before..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are a couple of issues when crossing controls with a different engine. First, not all engines require a "pull" on the cable to open the throttle. Some engines require that the throttle cable "push" to open the throttle. I believe some Yamaha engines push and some pull. To complicate matters even more, some control boxes can be switch from PUSH to PULL and vice versa. Don't know if that's the case with yours. It is highly unlikely the wiring between the control box and the motor will match color for color and even more unlikely that the control harness plug and Yamaha engine plug will match.. Electricity doesn't care what color the wires are so the control harness and engine harness could be spliced or some other aftermarket female and male connectors used to replace the factory fittings. You would still need to verify which wire in the Yamaha harness matches which wire in the Merc harness. The shift and throttle cable ends sometimes can be retrofitted with the other manufacturers equivalent -- but again, verify the push vs pull situation.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'd get the proper controls for the motor rather than cobble something together. JMO