Repowering a 50-60hp SSV151

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys - if you've followed any of my posts you'll see i have two glastron ssv151s. They are used 60% river 40% lake. some of my original posts were trying to get the best outboard to be a jack of all trades - going real slow when necessary and having a good top speed when also necessary. I've decided on a different path as i think i will compromise with this.
I think i am going to keep other my i4 80 or i6 90 merc for the lakes and repower the other boat with either:
80s Johnson 50/60HP
Early 90s Evinrude 60HP
Early 90s Yamaha 55HP
All the above being twin cylinder.

I was wondering generally which is the best of these? Also i notice the yammy is 100:1 oil so will save a bit there. My other questions are about top speeds when correctly propped and the kind of economy gains i will get from them all compared to my 80merc and which of the 3 will be best on fuel.

Nearly there now!

Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Speaking very basically These are all going to use about the same fuel at wot.(wide open throttle)
About 6 gph at wot.I think the Yamaha uses 3 carbs. I think J/E 50 uses 2 carbs.
The 60 probably 3 carbs. The 60 probably use about 7 gph at wot.
It seems to me that 2 carbs would do a better on fuel and are less complicated.
The 80 merc will use about 9 gph and the 90 about 10 gph at wot.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi sorry they are all 2 cylinder so surely max 2 carbs? also thrown in the mix is a Suzuki 60 2 cylinder would that be similar?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Larger carbed 2 strokes will use fuel at a rate about 12% of the rated hp at wot,possibly more.
Fuel use is the same whether a houseboat or a runabout the speed achieved determines mpg.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so if Im just doing 15 mph which would be better on fuel a yammy 55 or my 80 or 90 merc? Also isn't it worse for fuel on a planing hull

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Thats nearly impossible to figure. Assuming the same boat The 80 and 90 surely have a different power curve than the 55 and very likely a different great ratio.
Also we have how many carbs to deal with?Then we may have different technologies as well.
Disregarding the differences; logic says that it should take the same amount of hp to plane the boat.
Very basically; usually "displacement speeds" produce the best mpg But at something like 6 mph and boats designed to produce really efficient displacement speeds can produce automotive type mpg.
The best cruising speeds are usually at just on plane to about 1000 rpm higher.

pyro225

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmmm ok see what you mean so if I'm below planing speed it won't make much difference? thanks btw