Soldering Issues

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Need to bolt down a 50 HP onto transom. Once bolted would like to solder some weld points nut to pin body to avoid passerby or night thieves stealing the engine. Was wondering if it would be good to remove all grounds from block as there will be a ground electrode attaached to engine when soldering ? Will engine be safe is no ground is removed from block ? Any ideas..

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are anti-theft nuts, kinda like on auto fancy wheels, and Mercruiser outdrives, that could be used on your mounting bolts. You could also strip the bolt threads after the nuts are tight. A thief would need a dremel and electricity to get 'em off. If you are determined to use an arc welder, I would disconnect the battery(both cables), and insulate them. As long as the circuit between the ground and plus cable across the powerpacks, is open, I would not think you will have an issue. Arc welders are low voltage, aren't they?

alldodge

Staff member
Need to bolt down a 50 HP onto transom. Once bolted would like to solder some weld points nut to pin body to avoid passerby or night thieves stealing the engine. Was wondering if it would be good to remove all grounds from block as there will be a ground electrode attaached to engine when soldering ? Will engine be safe is no ground is removed from block ? Any ideas..

Happy Boating

If your going to weld, find someone with a TIG welder. disconnect cables and make sure the connections are as close as possible to the weld joint. Can you remove the motor from the mount?

64osby

Admiral
Just use a hammer on the end of the bolt. The nuts will never come off. The bolts will need to be cut off.

Stolen motors are what insurance is for.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
most thieves will simply steal the whole boat. however I suggest simply using anti-theft nuts with red loctite on the threads. you need to heat the nut to get the loctite to soften to be able to get the nut off. I would not weld the nut to the bolt.

robert graham

Admiral
I'be heard some crooks just cut the transom with a Sawzall to get the motors....very quick and easy for them!....not so good for the boat/motor!....

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's hard to outsmart a thief because he has experience over you. Buy insurance from a good company and sleep tight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys, very interesting answers. The engine is a clamp on, rope start, tiller simple version, The combo lives inside a marina, but night thieves specially on very foggy days (London type) could be tempted to steal it, as has happened before. Crooks have become very skilled these days, an easy money go for it issue.

OB uses long bolts with nuts and assume wheel locks are the ones with a key to unlock them, right ? Hammering nuts will be much better than doing nothing, but piece of cake with whipped cream for thieves to pull nuts off. A nice diagonal whack with a thick metal bar, the ones with sharp end and nuts are offf near instantly.

How about an overdose of red Loctite applied to nuts and then all heads filed down to become plain rounded ?

Anyway, going back to the original inquiry, If using an electric welder would I need to remove all electrical components such as CD, Ignition, Pulser Coils grounds from engine block as not to fry those components if electric welders happens to do so ?

Happy Boatting

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I have seen a lock that fits over your clamps then locks.

Locks stop the opportunity thieves and slow the rookies down. If they really want it they will get it.

I would not weld or solder the clamps.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If they want to steal it, they'll get it no matter what you do. As said above just have good insurance. I'd stay away from the welding idea. To much stray current.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A nice diagonal whack with a thick metal bar, the ones with sharp end and nuts are offf near instantly.

If peening the ends of the bolts over and the beating on it with ^^^^^ will take off the nuts, why would tack welding the nuts make any difference? The same with using Loctite and filing the nuts or using a wheel lock set-up.

Use a clamp lock like Scott linked and if the thieves don't steal the motor, you can still remove it when you need or want to.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If peening the ends of the bolts over and the beating on it with ^^^^^ will take off the nuts, why would tack welding the nuts make any difference? The same with using Loctite and filing the nuts or using a wheel lock set-up.

Use a clamp lock like Scott linked and if the thieves don't steal the motor, you can still remove it when you need or want to.

Thanks all,

I know the clamp lock would be the way to go, but unfortunately not available down here, would need to be imported and that could take bit long. That clamp lock uses a lock to close the mechanismo, right ? why can't a thieve simple cut the upper U bar, remove the entire clamp lock and go away with engine, keep in mind that's an open marina to sea and anything stolen would go that way. Nothing is foolproof, just wanted a cheap theft deterrant, know boating is associated with theft issues, if not would be playing golf instead.

Is the clamp lock a one will fit all or comes by sizes ? The general idea was to weld all 4 front nuts 360 deg against exiting bolt threads., that should hold much better a wack. Fortunately self supported electrical cutting machines are not available down here, yet and no electrical plug is available where all boats/engines are kept.

Would stray elctricity affect or fry electrical parts if their grounds from block are not removed while welding ? Don't have this issue very clear...is anybody there will real electrical experience about this particular issue ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the clamp lock is nothing more than a piece of square tubing with a few slots and a paddle lock. why not make one

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
In the end, if a thief really wants your motor, he WILL take it. Your goal is to make it hard enough for him to take YOUR motor that he decides it's not worth the effort and moves on to one that isn't quite so difficult to procure...

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Maybe I'm missing something here - but, won't you want to remove the motor yourself at some point? I'm all for making it hard to steal, but why make it almost impossible to remove it yourself?

If there are other boats in the area all you need do is make yours more difficult to remove than the one next door.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You always have the option to make your own locking system pretty easy. I made these and it will surely slow any thief down for a while.

I made these tire locks for my trailer spare. But just use two straight flat bars instead of 90 degree angles like I used here and weld two nuts that fit your clamping thread pattern and drill a hole in each end so you can use a quality pad lock or something like that. That way you could easily remove the motor yourself if need be...

But honestly, nothing is 100% foolproof...

Locks-1.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use a hidden bolt somewhere.----When they undo the regular bolts and it won't come off they will move on.