Bringing a 1953 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 hp 7512 back to life

pckeen

Commander
This is what I'm doing....what the title says....good spark, carb taken apart and cleaned (not rebuilt, as I was told it had been running), but the gas tank has dried flaky varnish in it.

What's the best fix (the gas tank is an internal tank on top of the motor)? Slosh some gas around in it? I know this question has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find the answer when I did a search just now.

pckeen

Commander
OK - worked out the answer to that - I'll try acetone in the tank....

New question - compression on the two cylinders was both 75psi, based on pull cord starting - is that OK?

nwcove

Admiral
75 psi is fine, and the fact that its even between cyls is great. you may want to move this complete thread down to the j/e section.....you will get more help/feedback on your project.

pckeen

Commander
Next question - the gearcase has a drain plug and vent plug for gear oil. These plugs are simply a small 'bolt" without a head - ie. they won't accomodate an O-ring. Should I use teflon tape for the purpose of making them water/air tight?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I believe the plugs are NPT, .ie pipe thread. As such, they should self tight, as they have a slight taper to them. You're running grease in the unit, so perfect seal is less of an issue than if running oil. I run Lubriplate 105 in mine...

pckeen

Commander
Hmmmm....looks like I don't know....what I don't know. What do you mean running grease in it? I put in regular gear oil. I take it that was wrong. Haven't started it yet so it shouldn't be a problem to drain and re-fill. What should I use instead?

pckeen

Commander
One more question - I know that there have been changes in oil quality over the years that led to changing the oil/gas ratios in the early 60s. The instructions on this motor say 1/2 pint of oil to one gallon of gas. By my calculation that is a 1:16 mix. Any advice? Do I need to mix it that strong?

nwcove

Admiral
One more question - I know that there have been changes in oil quality over the years that led to changing the oil/gas ratios in the early 60s. The instructions on this motor say 1/2 pint of oil to one gallon of gas. By my calculation that is a 1:16 mix. Any advice? Do I need to mix it that strong?

the " new and better" oil thing has been beat to death in the forums......stick with the mfg's specs for the engine. jmo

pckeen

Commander
OK. That may have been just a little over the top. It's alive alright.....but I'm thinking it needs a carb cleaning. When I got it out on the lake shortly after the video below it ran, but kept dying after a few minutes of run time, and was then a pig to restart. Anyone know what carb kit I should order?