Should I replace the impeller on a Yamaha F90 as a routine maintenance measure?

pckeen

Commander
The title says it all. I have a 2010 or 2011 Yamaha F90, that has been run for 3 seasons. There are no water pump problems with it - the water jet is strong and continuous. I just winterized it, but am wondering whether I should replace the impeller as part of a routine maintenance program, or just leave it until it shows signs of a problem. What are your practices?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The rule of thumb is, every two years. So you are well over due. One more note, when you replace it have the tech pull the base plate up and check the drive shaft seals to see that they are fully seated, they sometimes get pushed out.

pckeen

Commander
I've been doing my own winterizing without a problem. Do I need to use a mechanic for this, is this something that can be done by a reasonably handy layperson...or are there minefields waiting for me if I try to do this?

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No you don't a tech to replace a water pump, are you ok with removing a lower unit.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
lots of youtube videos that show you the basics, and plenty of help here in the forum.

pckeen

Commander
Boobie - are you thinking that the youtube videos (none of the same motor, but similar year Yamaha's mid to large F series motors) won't be sufficient guidance?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I always liked to have a good old factory service manual handy when I was working on any motor.