85 HP Evinrude V4...need some help figuring out what I have

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all,

This past weekend I did some trading and came up with a Pontoon boat with a V4 engine on it. The hood says Evinrude 85 hp. I can't find an ID tag, however. The ID tag on I have found on the engine mount is a Cabrea EL75 tag (which I surmise means the engine mount is from a Suzuki 75 HP outboard).

Here's a photo of the core plug on the engine block. Does this tell me anything helpful?

I need a serial number to put down on the Bill of Sale so I can get a title for the engine (It came from a state that doesn't title outboards, but Missouri does title outboards).

Of course...I'll also need to figure out what I have so I can maintain it with the proper parts. So any clues to what I have are going to be helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited:

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here are some more photos I took today of the engine:

I don't know if they'll be helpful or not.

Last edited:

clemsparks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks so much!

Can you tell me how that decodes (or point me in the right direction to do it myself would REALLY be appreciated).

So is the lower row, "J0003463" the serial number, then?

Thanks,
Clem

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The 85 is the hp the 8 is for 1978 and the rest im not sure. I think one of the 9 would indicate shaft length. The lower number is your serial number.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
In the second photo what does that tag say that is on the side of the stern bracket ?? Color of the stern bracket is wrong for the motor.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
From what I can see the tilt and trim motor is from a 73-77 Johnson/evinrude motor which will not fit the 78 on motors. Its possible that someone combined the two some how and you have a mix of years.
real question is how does it run and work?