Moving my gas tank from the back of the boat too underneath the bow.

Matt G 001

Recruit
I have a 1970s 14 foot lake/ski boat with a 48 horsepower evinrude. I recently replaced the old metal tanks with an 11 gallon plastic tank, the gas tanks have always been in the back of the boat near the motor but I want to move it under the bow to use up the wasted space and add a little weight up there because the boat tends to bounce even in small chop. My only concerns are, is having the gas tank under a bow that is only open on one side (that side being where I sit) enough ventilation? And is that to far to run a gas line that needs to have the priming bulb on it to get the engine started? I dont mind having to pump a little extra if that is the only downside. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Matt. Go ahead and move the tank up front. There is no ignition source there and as long as you have no leaks, no problem. The bulb will work fine. You won't be the first to relocate a tank to the bow, go for it.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Triangular tanks are specifically made to fit the bow of RIBs and other vee shaped hulls. Gasoline vapors being heavier than air will still come out the opening for the deck.

It doesn't really matter what the opening under the deck is: It is still considered a closed compartment. Even if you have foam filled seats, these are considered closed compartments and you are still required to have all safety equipment.

Matt G 001

Recruit
Thanks GA I was leaning that way but I just needed the extra confidence. I'll look into getting something custom made to replace the plastic tank I have, but for now it will have to do.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you plan to move fuel tank forward to avoid bouncing keep in mind that when tanks begins to reduce its fuel level will also reduce it's weight accordingly and bouncing should start when fuel is at its min tank level. You could keep tanks at rear and place a sand sac up front, that way will compensate bouncing issues all the time.

Happy Boating