Lifting prop and keeping it up 1969 Evinrude 18hp

droolbot

Seaman
Brand new to owning a boat, so not clear on all the terminology, and full of silly questions! So, just picked up a 1969 18hp Evinrude to stick on the back of my 1956 Glass Magic boat. Found the pin to pull to tilt motor off ground for transport, but cannot figure out how to keep it in the upright position. If anybody could help me here it would be greatly appreciated! Also, is it ok to pull the motor and lay it in the boat for transport/storage? Much easier to just keep it attache, and being a proud new boat owner I really enjoy staring at it every time I walk by it, but do not want to damage the transom especially due to the age of the boat.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to iboats!

Sure would be nice to see a pic or 2 of your new boat.

I think the pin your moving is called a thrust bar that is adjusted for the motor height when running. There should be a tilt lock on the side of the motor that is engaged to hold the motor fully tilted up.

I know what you mean about your boat, I have 2 boats that I've restored so as you can imagine that's what gets my gaze every time I'm close to them.

jbcurt00

Staff member
There is a locking lever on the front of the motor, between where the motor clamps rests on the transom. Part # 69 in this pix:
39891_zps09bb0e8b.gif

If you have the motor titled down the lever locks it down, which keeps the motor from self-tilting (which would let the prop 'climb' out of the water) when you put the OB in reverse, and if the motor is tilted up, the lock should lock the motor in the tilted up position.

When towing ALWAYS use a transom saver. They are available here at the iboats store & elsewhere:
http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Transom-Savers
4000-adj-r_fu_2.jpg

It keeps the outboard from acting like a lever and stressing the transom.

1956 Glass Magic? Got any pix, has the boat already been restored? Or a super rare survivor that's still all original and in great shape?

Welcome to iboats.

droolbot

Seaman
Not restored but in working condition. Not planning a full on restoration, but she will get a new paint job and some other tweeks to try and make her look good! Tried attaching pic, hope it worked!

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Actually, there is NOT a lock for the up position on the old 18s. The usual way to keep the motor tilted up is to block it with a piece of 1x2 or the like. For short trips, you can tighten up the nut on the tilt bolt, as it has a spring under it to add friction. Makes the motor harder to tilt, but can keep the motor tilted short term. Not really made to keep it tilted for road trips, but will keep the motor out of the water if you want to keep algae from growing on it.

droolbot

Seaman
Wont let me attach my pics. Dangit, really like to share when someone is interested...heck, even if they are not!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You need to use picture hosting site to post pictures.
I have never done it but I believe you post an address link.