Running an 86 year old motor - 1928 Elto Quad

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
First time out with my 1928 Elto Quad. Definite learning curve, starting a "knucklebuster" with battery ignition, getting both carbs synched, but the end result was very gratifying.
VIDEO:
http://youtu.be/iFSYLT5jkzo

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's moved, CW. The old gal sounds better than OBs half or a quarter of her age. It's always good to see the old ones running like or better than new. :thumb:

nwcove

Admiral
that old girl does sound better than any new motor on the market.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The only things missing are all the "Warning - This will chop your fingers off" and the like stickers. :eek: :lol:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The only things missing are all the "Warning - This will chop your fingers off" and the like stickers. :eek: :lol:

Yep, I got a couple of skinned knuckles in the process. If I'd thought ahead a bit, I would have worn a work glove of some sort... It was still worth it, though!

Willyclay

Captain
Very nice, Scott. But where is the blue smoke cloud? I'm pretty sure that old beauty needs lots of oil in the premix! Thanks from Geezerland.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Willy - at slower speeds, the 8:1 mix was laying down a pretty good cloud! ;-)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The "Engineers Engine" sounds smooth as silk. Very nice.:encouragement:
Yep, definitely not "user friendly", although once you figure out the quirks, it starts easier than any modern motor with a pull start, and almost as easy as an electric start motor!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I have always leaned more toward older equipment. They may have there quirks, but the character they posess makes them worth all the skinned knuckles and cuts and bruises you get from getting them running. In todays plug and play safety gone awry world, cars trucks and boats seem bland almost booring by comparison. That's not to say I want to give up my newer f150, but it's not as fun to work on as my old mustang. I'm glad people still take the time to repair, and run older equipment. Thanks for sharing your post.