Johnson electric/hydraulic shift vs mechanical/hydraulic shift ?

jimmoe

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys.... I've never been quite clear on this and need some schoolin' !
I'm looking at buying a "running" Johnson 85HP 85ESL75E and wondering.......
Did Johnson outboards go to mechanical cable/hydraulic shift in ALL horsepower models and years in 1973 ?
Did that solve the problems with them that I hear about and the difficult repair procedure ?
What exactly is the difference.... aren't the '73 and after still called "electric shift" ...... what is the difference in the model name terminology ?
Did ALL horsepower models and year classes then change to full mechanical shift in 1978 ?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Don't quote me on this but as I recall OMC ended the electric shift in 1971 then went with a hydraulic/mechanical shift until 1975 when they changed to a full mechanical shift. At least that's with the 2 cylinder 50hp models. The 3 cylinder models made the change in 1975 between the B and E models. And yes it looks like the larger engine used the hydraulic pump until 1978

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Electric shift was last marketed in 1972 !!-------For a few years after 1972 they used the oil pump with a mechanically shifted " servo " to make shifting easier and smooth.-----The control box said " powershift II " and many folks mistakenly think that they are electric shift.

jimmoe

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys ! .....all good info, I have seen the "powershift" and wondered about that.