Water in gas tank

soh_ii

Cadet
I made a Big mistake this past year and didn't top off the gas tank (about 1/2 to 2/3 full)<br />When I brought the boat to the marina this summer <br />it ran find until this past weekend. I had to be towed in because of excess water in filter and constant stalling of engine. I've replaced water seperator and have added dry gas - still won't run<br />for more then a couple of minutes. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated <br />Thanks, Bob

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water in gas tank

Hi Bob...welcome to iboats forum.<br /><br />If you are certain about the water, you will need to drain the carbs to remove any water trapped in the bowls. There should be a drain plug on each (taking for granted you have more than two carb.) If there is a carb cover, you may have to remove this to get to the drain plugs. Also, if would be a good idea to flush your fuel lines to remove any water in them. <br /><br />Good Luck.<br /><br />PS....if ya' need to post again, please include make, hp and year of your engine. You can also edit this post to include the above. This would be the prefered way.

Jerry M.

Seaman

Here's what I did when I had water in the tank on the boat I bought that had sat for several years. I took the access cover off the gas tank, siphoned<br />off as much water as I could from the bottom of the tank, using and old gas line with primer bulb.<br />Installed a gas/water seperator. Then as Jim said, drained the carbs. After running a tank of gas, removed the filter..it was 7/8 full of water. Ran another tank, about 1/4 water in the filter. Ran another tank, filer clear, no water.<br /><br />Jerry

jrmarsh

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a 1963 Glastron Gulfstream with a 1989 Mercruiser V6 4.3 I/O. It ran great in the driveway and me being the *GENIUS* that I am decided to buy it without doing a sea trial, especially since the guy advertised the boat as 'TURN KEY", and hey, he seemed like a really nice guy...BIG MISTAKE. At first I couldn't even get it to run more than over 5 mph in the water, then it wouldn't even start. I had the carburator rebuilt and replaced the coil which seemed to help it a bit to the point where around 1800-2500 rpm it starts cutting out, when I reach about 3000 it surges but still misses. I know that the original tanks were replaced with an aluminum tank but the filler cap had a bad gasket and water got into the system. Are the problems I am having symptomatic of water in the gas? I know it could be a lot of other things like the ignition, or coil etc. but I am trying to identify other possibilities as a process of elimination.
Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

I made a Big mistake this past year and didn't top off the gas tank (about 1/2 to 2/3 full)<br />When I brought the boat to the marina this summer <br />it ran find until this past weekend. I had to be towed in because of excess water in filter and constant stalling of engine. I've replaced water seperator and have added dry gas - still won't run<br />for more then a couple of minutes. Any HELP would be greatly appreciated <br />Thanks, Bob