Winterize

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Two more winterizing questions..... First Question: I live in NW Michigan and it gets cold, sometimes for a few weeks. The boat is stored unheated and covered outside or maybe inside. The boat has 2 outboards: 1989 Mercury 100 with oil injection and 2010 Mercury 9.9 4-stroke. I've read all the winterizing threads (they were very helpful) and concluded that adding Stabil and replacing the bottom unit lube is about all I need to do. My question is, do I need to do anything special to assure all water drains out of the 9.9 4-stroke? I'm comfortable just tipping the 100 hp down and allowing it to drain. Is that all I need to do for the 9.9....just tip it down and allow it to drain? Second Question: My winterizing plan for batteries is to charge them fully, then disconnect and let them sit in the boat. Is that OK or should I store them in the garage? Any other suggestions?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I think you have it licked. Tilt both motors down to allow them to drain, after running the stabilized fuel thru them for a few minutes on the flusher. Spray the 4 cycle motor (at least) with a fogging oil, before shutting it down. Grease the fittings and change the gear oil. Batteries charged and disconnected as specified.

beckoning

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chris1956,

Thank you. This is helpful, and comforting to know I'm not overlooking something. Where are you located, ie how cold does it get where you are?

Since you seem to have much experience (Supreme Commander), I thought I'd ask you a few more questions. Maybe some others with good experience will also chime in.

Two motor oriented follow up questions, not related to winterizing. 1) Have you had experience with the fuel additive SeaFoam? In my limited experience, it seems to do well at cleaning carburetor jets and passages. 2) Have you had experience working on power tilt units? My 100hp Mercury's power tilt works, but it seems to be laboring. It seems to me the power tilt is a 2-stage unit that when at the first stage of raising out of the water it runs at one speed (laboring), then once it clears the water, the power tilt runs faster and doesn't labor. I've had the fluid checked and things seem OK. The certified Mercury mechanic who checked the fluid level theorized that the power tilt electric motor could be on its last legs. Any thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I live on the Jersey shore. It likely gets as cold here as where you are.

I have used Seafoam for decarbonizing. It may clean carb passages, provided they are not real dirty. Only a carb tear-down and blowing out the passages will help, once the passages get dirty.

I have had almost no problems with PTT units. I would source an aftermarket PTT motor, just for convenience. I would check the electrical connections and make sure they are clean and tight. Also, it is normal for the trim (dual piston) to move slower than the tilt. It may be fine. I would tilt the motor up and lock it. Now wait 5 minutes and fill the PTT reservoir. Cycle it down and up and wait the 5 minutes, refill again. The waiting allows air to bubble up and out of the reservoir.