How much fuel should I bring?

retired mailman

Recruit
Hello. First time here. I am taking my son and grandson camping on Middle Cape, or East Cape this next weekend. We will be in my 14' V-hull, powered by a 15 HP Johnson 2-stroke. We're planning to use the ramp at Flamingo, and camp for one night, and then return the next day. I have 3 6-gallon tanks. How much gas is realistically needed for this trip? 6 gallons, 12 gallons? More? We will be LOADED with food, camping stuff, bug spray, etc. We will be fishing, but this is supposed to be a 'family' experience. Anything more I should know?

UncleWillie

Captain
First, Welcome Aboard. :welcome:

I am sure that as a retired Mailman you know how far it is from Flamingo to Middle/East Cape,
Unfortunately the rest of us here are not even sure what country they are in. :D
I will assume it is somewhere in the US.

How far is the trip? Miles? Time?
Will you be using any gas as you are fishing? Trolling?

The old rule of thumb estimates that a 15hp engine, wide open, will burn about 1.5 gal/hour.
A 6 gallon tank should last about 4 hours, but for planning purposes, assume 2 gal/hour (3 hours) to be sure there are reserves.

retired mailman

Recruit
Guess I should have clarified. Flamingo is in the Everglades Nat'l Park at the southern end of Florida. East/Middle cape is about 13 miles around the bottom of the state. So, 26 miles + some extra for fishing.

UncleWillie

Captain
Well, assuming the boat will do at least 13mph with all the equipment on board, 3 gallons should get you there and back.
Unless you are planning to troll with the 15, 6 gallons should be plenty. Don't use more than 4 of the gallons on the trip to allow for at least 2 gal to get you back comfortably. If you are the nervous type. Take another 2+ gallons in a separate container so you don't accidentally use up all the gas by mistake.

UncleWillie

Captain
I found Flamingo, FL on Google Earth. Man, that is in the middle of nowhere!
That places East Cape 10 miles East of the middle of nowhere.
It looks like a great trip, But definitely no place to run out of gas! Be safe!

Be sure you have an anchor that will hold position in the Gulf of Mexico.
A brick on a rope may not be a wise combination.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would say pack all 3 if you have the space. Better to be over equipped than under. Plus if you guys decide to go exploring while fishing then you have the option.

robert graham

Admiral
Estimate/carry plenty of gas....but more importantly, check the weather forecast, file a sail plan with folks on shore, take phones, plan for motor failure/alternate safe harbor/take-out points, etc.....don't get killed!....good luck!

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like a fun trip. I would try and get a more accurate measure of fuel consumption first. You will have a lot of gear in that boat so I would expect you will have trouble getting the boat to plane. Be careful how you load the boat to minimize bow rise as you plow. With all the gear you should be able to move gear around as needed. As was already mentioned - take some extra fuel with you. A 26 mile trip is not far in a motor boat. A canoe, yea. I would expect that 6 gallons would make the trek but try and get some more data on the consumption of the motor. Then factor in your speed (loaded up is going to be noticeably lower than empty). Once you hve those two values figured up then you will be able to more accurtely gauge fuel needed. Multiply what you think you need by 1.15 (15% more) and call it good.

UncleWillie

Captain
... I am taking my son and grandson ... We will be in my 14' V-hull, powered by a 15 HP Johnson 2-stroke. ... I have 3 6-gallon tanks. How much gas is realistically needed for this trip? 6 gallons, 12 gallons? More? We will be LOADED with food, camping stuff, bug spray, etc....

One adult and two kids with a load of camping gear on a 14 foot boat with 15 hp. Check that capacity plate!
Each 6 gallons of fuel with tank will add about 40 lbs to the load. Taking a second tank will have logistical problems.
The trip starts inland in the Everglades but ends facing the open waters of the Gulf.
It is probably a given that phone service will be non-existent.

I am sure you will be checking the weather closely, but the return trip is on the following day. Stay close to shore while transiting.
You will need to evaluate what is Needed on the trip from what is Wanted. You may not be able to take everythig you want.
Your camping trip is approaching being a Safari. The boys are going to remember this one! Can I come too? !!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bring twice as much fuel as you think you will need. if you hit a head wind you will use more fuel than a tail wind. I also agree that you need to watch the capacity plate and watch the total capacity in #. add up the weight of people, fuel, gear, motor, etc. and make sure your not over weight.

UncleWillie

Captain
Estimate/carry plenty of gas....but more importantly, check the weather forecast, file a sail plan with folks on shore, take phones, plan for motor failure/alternate safe harbor/take-out points, etc.....don't get killed!....good luck!

This is what makes this trip all that more of an adventure.
WIth 3 people and a load of camping gear in a 14 foot boat, taking excessive fuel is a logistical problem.
It is Florida and the weather changes rapidly.
Flamingo Florida is literally at the end of a 40 mile road at the southern tip of the state.
Where they are going there will be no phone service, no alterate takeout points,
and finding a safe harbor will mean boating up a canal into the swamp where no one will find them for a long time.

Other than a rescue party starting a search if they do not return when expected, they are on their own.
Should they even consider making this trip? Absolutely!! This is the the stuff that memories are made of!

Because the OP is asking about fuel requirements, it shows he understands the dangers at hand.
Unless there is a lot of trolling in the plans, 6 gallons should be close to twice of what is needed.
Once he arrives at his camp site he can see how much fuel was used to get there, and adjust his plans for the return trip.
The good news is he will likely have a following wind for the return.

retired mailman

Recruit
I am looking into the possibility of towing a small inflatable boat behind us. Something REAL, not a toy, to carry some of the necessary weight, including a spare 5 hp outboard. I have a hand-held VHF radio. You are correct about no cell phone service out there. I have kayaked/camped out there before, and know what to expect, mostly. Will post pictures afterward.

Willyclay

Captain
As a wise old pilot told me one day; "you never have too much fuel unless you are on fire"!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Check your chart for Shark Valley. It is north of middle cape and is the entrance to the back route to Flamingo. That would make a round robin trip and the back route is great if the wind is up. The open water can get nasty there if the wind picks up especially in a 14'er that will probably be overloaded.There are a couple of camp sites up on platforms - check with the rangers at Flamingo if you plan to stay on one.

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been waiting for a trip report on this. Any updates from retired mailman?

retired mailman

Recruit
The trip was very good. We wound up using about 8 gallons of gas, and brought 12. At around 5:00 PM, the mosquitoes went WILD! The weather was moderate, till 1:00 AM, when a storm blew by. We caught trout, a few sheepshead, some small reds, and a juvenile snook. Middle Cape is a fantastic place to camp. We'll do it again, but more into the winter. Hopefully, a LOT less bugs then...