Mixing Different Type TCW-3 Oils

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm ready to fill up the oil reservoir on my oil-injected outboard and the existing TCW-3 oil is Supertech from Walmart. I'm going to switch to Pennzoil synthetic blend (already have a jug). Any issues with combining the two oils?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
First of all I wouldn't own an oil injected outboard - I'd go premix all the way. Secondly, if I did I certainly wouldn't put 2 different manufacturers in the tank together, let alone 2 different versions, TCW3 or not. Been there done that and learned the hard way.

Now having said that I never tried the 2 brands you are suggesting. Why not try it and report back the results.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've used different brands all my life. Never had an issue. But I've never mixed regular with synthetic.

UncleWillie

Captain
First of all I wouldn't own an oil injected outboard - I'd go premix all the way...

If you have a modern(2006+) , Direct Injected 2 stroke, you do not have a choice.

Any oil in the fuel will not lubricate the engine because it never passes through the crankcase.
The fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, and the oil is injected into the crankcase.

Some Lakes have outlawed the use of Gas/Oil Mixed Outboards.
See http://www.tahoeboating.com/item/63338-ban-on-two-stroke-motors/20682-miscellaneous

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Part of the tcw3 rating spec is that all tcw3 rated oils can be mixed.

Have done it for years.

You can mix them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I have actually mixed those two specific oil in my oil injected outboard. No issue in doing that.

You might want to run the reservoir down to minimum, before adding the semi-synthetic. That way you can see if the semi-synthetic oil smokes less, and join the oil debate threads.......

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used to work in the Wally's lube shop and was told by our manager that the SuperTech brand was actually made/bottled by Quaker State oil. I've used them for years in my little commuter vehicles and never had an issue. All modern oils are manufactured to the same government mandated specs. The only differences is whatever special additives each brand may put in their mix. Otherwise, from a lubricity stand point, all conventional motor oils are the same.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I chickened out. Found some Supertech and will use that instead of the Pennzoil syn blend. The 110HP Johnson has been running exceptionally well on the Supertech, so I'm staying with it (can troll @ 770RPM for 7 hours without so much as a hiccup, cough or sneeze). The Pennzoil goes into a different motor.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I buy my oil by the case. I bounce around between Evinrude XD-50, Pennzoil Premium Plus and Mercury Premium Plus depending on who has the best price at the time.